Broccoli and White Bean Soup
adapted from Whole Living Magazine
makes 8-10 servings
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted, for serving
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat water to simmering in a pot with a steamer basket or insert. Add broccoli florets and steam until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Set aside 1 cup of the florets to stir in at the end.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Saute onion until translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add beans and stock and turn up heat to medium until it simmers.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in broccoli. Let cool slightly, then puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a stand blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in reserved florets.
- When ready to serve, garnish each bowl with toasted pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.