OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 25th October 2011

18:00 - 18:52 GMT

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present: Grant, Michael, Richard, Dermot, Oliver Kühn

Apologies: Steve

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met October 18th.

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1SX6N5KOe0l-30a2yBLN9SM5Nqc2nRtyx2qFWu4p2pYY/edit?hl=en_GB

Proposed: Oliver

Seconded: Grant

Accepted

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's www.openstreetmap.org user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and friends in Sept 20th minutes
  • Richard - Second emailing (Sept 20 minutes) - start drafting
  • Richard - 28 Obsolete .yu addresses (Sept 20 minutes) - draft a careful email with privacy in mind.
  • Richard - Deceased contributors (Sept 20 minutes) ask counsel: Are there any grounds for publishing their contributions under ODbL without contacting their estate for permission?

3. Finalise today's agenda

This week we experiment with a short-format meeting which will alternate with the longer normal meeting.

4. data.gov.au imports

data.gov.au have confirmed via email that the wording on

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution#Australian_government_public_information_datasets

accurately reflects their position. Grant and Richard will talk to talk-au

5. Database re-build strategy

Declines have stabilised and older contributors are accepting at a steady but unspectacular rate. Issues in the UK and Australia preventing some users from accepting have now been mainly resolved.  It is now time to kick off rebuilding the database to achieve 100% new CTs/ODbl coverage so that the red squares in http://matt.dev.openstreetmap.org/treemap.png are either turned green or reduced in size and eventually eliminated. This is our consensus strategy on how we will proceed:

Predicate: Remapping is better than just removing non-ODbL data from the current version, that should come last. So:

  1. Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out … anyone can join and/or drop out. Mike
  2. Focus initially on systems and minor changes that can:
  • Help all contributors with remapping. Contributors should be able to see an accurate and up-to-date view of status in their own local mapping areas.
  • Help to a small group of contributors who can re-license some but not all their data. Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified.
  1. Second emailing to all folks who not yet accepted or declined the new terms. Focus on providing information or links in key languages. Richard is working on this.
  2. OSM database rebuilding per se. This does not have to be done in one go, but in a series of steps starting with wants has the most beneficial impact for the least amount of work.
  • First job to do soon: For selected contributors that have both declined the new terms and are clearly not going to change, revert all their changes where they are the last person to make a change.
  • Mechanical edits?
  • Better defining what is unclean (clearly must be removed) and de jure clean (clearly OK), de facto clean (a trivial or redundant change to an object needs locking of removing but the net effect on the object means its current publicised version is clean). And, if de facto clean how to mark and show it in a manner satisfactory to the majority … needs community consensus.
  • … work to define more specific steps that can be done soon.

Edit copy of technical document:

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/11nadDjFQwPXHSiJ_yRDjErDOLO-h6U18qak8mj1I9R4/edit?authkey=COyu7t0F

Public read-only copy:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=11nadDjFQwPXHSiJ_yRDjErDOLO-h6U18qak8mj1I9R4

Ireland-only (for now) tool to visualise and find dirty data

http://odbl.dobini.com/

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Nov 4th 12am PST / 15:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 BST(UK) / 20:00 CEST

(ONE HOUR LATER FOR NORTH AMERICAN PARTICIPANTS)

AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.

Note: European clocks change 30th Oct and US/Canada clocks change 6th Nov