Staff Writer / / THE CHIMES
News, Features, A&E, Opinions, Sports
Applications, resumes and recommendation letters due via email to Jana Eller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Label each page with your name, major, phone, email and year.
- What section(s) are you interested in being the staff writer for?
- What is your projected date of graduation? (Only applicants graduating in spring 2018 will be considered.)
- Do you feel comfortable taking orders from and pitching to a section editor?
- What is your vision for the section you are applying to? How will your writing improve that section?
- The Chimes is a web-first publication, meaning content must be generated, edited and uploaded almost every day. As a staff writer, you would be important to that process. How would you work with quick turnaround times and pressing deadlines?
- This position will require you to write every week. How does that fit with your schedule? (Please include schedule and availability.)
- How familiar are you with web programs such as Google Docs and Wordpress?
- What would you say is your greatest strength and your biggest weakness?
- What unique skills, talents, etc. will you bring to the newsroom?
- What are the most important parts for a story in your section?
- How is your current relationship with God and how would that influence your work? (Please be honest.)
- Include a letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with you and your writing.
- Attach an updated resume.
- Interviews will be scheduled individually. Please make sure your contact information is located at the top of your application.
- Please attach at least two writing samples. Published works/articles are acceptable, or articles written for journalism/P.R. courses.