Orange Scones with Coconut Orange Glaze
For the Scones:
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
For the Orange Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with fit the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half-and-half, orange juice and orange zest. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a counter top and shape into an 8-inch circle.
- With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet and brush scones lightly with orange juice; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.
- While the scones are cooling, make the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and orange juice together until smooth. When scones are cool, Drizzle over each scone and allow to dry before serving.
Yields: 8 scones
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com