OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 15th November 2011

19:00 - 19:59 GMT

Agenda & Minutes

draft

Present: Richard Weait, Dermot McNally, Oliver Kuehn, Michael Collinson, guest Simon Poole

Apologies: Grant

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met November 8th.

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1UCVD45uSzsy3QBGAn8hlu8Ki-UAZoWLkSUOa16yAje4/edit?hl=en_GB

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Richard

Accepted

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's www.openstreetmap.org user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and friends in Sept 20th minutes
  • Richard - Second emailing (Sept 20 minutes) - start drafting
  • Richard - 28 Obsolete .yu addresses (Sept 20 minutes) - draft a careful email with privacy in mind.
  • Richard - Deceased contributors (Sept 20 minutes) ask counsel: Are there any grounds for publishing their contributions under ODbL without contacting their estate for permission? (in progress)
  • Mike - Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes).
  • Richard will draft sub-phases to get us to April 1 2012 license cut-over. 

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Database re-build

Mike has sent a mailing to legal-talk outlining status. The most two important points being 1) a request for reality check on focusing on individual re-mapping inititially rather than automated script editing; 2) that we would like to firm up on 1st April 2012 as the final license cut-over date.

 

Ad hoc points arising from a general discussion on technical issues:

  • anonymous contributions can be removed now, it is not going to change. Not contentious.
  • remapping stuff is not easy/tedious to get done perfectly. It can be easier to start from a clean slate, i.e. do the automated re-build first, then the re-mapping … the opposite approach to our previous discussions.
  • http://odbl.poole.ch/ Simon’s ODbL acceptance statistics
  • To best help individual mappers, we need a visualization set with regular updates: Garmin, a slippy map, walking papers.  To provide tools for opportunistic remapping of data.  Make it easy for users to find things that need remapping. Dermot will add these suggestions to technical shopping list
  • JOSM visualization plug-in is “licensechange”. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/LicenseChange We need to tell people about, how to install it, quick intro on how to use it.
  • We will kick off an odbl-transition technical project mailing list in (at least) English and German.
  • A proportion of folks declining the new terms have never made a contribution, this accounts for user accounts with blank names at http://fred.dev.openstreetmap.org/license/

Edit copy of technical shopping list:

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/11nadDjFQwPXHSiJ_yRDjErDOLO-h6U18qak8mj1I9R4/edit?authkey=COyu7t0F

Public read-only copy:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=11nadDjFQwPXHSiJ_yRDjErDOLO-h6U18qak8mj1I9R4

4. Second bulk emailing

Who should we send it to? Just those who have not responded or include explicit decliners.

Who should it come from? Preferably from an impersonal account, one per language, identified with the LWG that can be monitored for a question to answer.

5 or 6 translations ready to go out. Shall we send them all out together.

AOB

- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Metadata_Layers_-_Guideline

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Nov 22nd 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CEST

AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.