GORDON'S SWEETCORN FRITTERS (makes approx 10)
100g self raising flour
2-3 tbsp milk
3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced diagonally
1 chilli (red or green) seeds removed and chopped finely
a small handful of coriander, chopped roughly
326g tin of sweetcorn, drained
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp rapeseed oil.
1. Into a bowl, place the flour, egg and milk. Using a balloon whisk, mix them well until combined into a sticky, thick batter.
2. Add the spring onions, chilli, coriander and sweetcorn, plus a little seasoning. Stir until all the vegetables and herbs are covered with a light coating of the batter.
3. Pour the rapeseed oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Once the oil is heated through, add tablespoonfuls of the fritter mixture - four usually makes a good number without cooling the frying pan and stopping the cooking process.
4. Once the underside of the mixture has set slightly, spread the blob out a little and continue to cook until golden brown.
5. Turn the fritter and press down with the back of the spatula, just for a moment or two. Continue to fry until this second side is also golden brown.
6. Place the fritters onto kitchen paper and keep in a warm place until they are all cooked, then serve with some sweet chilli dipping sauce - or whichever type of sauce you fancy!