OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 22nd November 2011

19:00 - 20:05 GMT

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present: Dermot McNally, Richard Weait, Grant Slater, Michael Collinson, Oliver Kuehn, Simon Poole, guest Michał Górski

Apologies:

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met November 15th.

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1fPkP8RZVv7-A5ofHYCYrp8Mtsg4cZyh2Gzrc76XKj-s/edit?hl=en_GB

Proposed: Richard

Seconded: Oliver

Accepted

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's www.openstreetmap.org user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and friends in Sept 20th minutes
  • Richard - 28 Obsolete .yu addresses (Sept 20 minutes) - draft a careful email with privacy in mind(done and sent out). 
  • Richard - Deceased contributors (Sept 20 minutes) ask counsel: Are there any grounds for publishing their contributions under ODbL without contacting their estate for permission? (in progress)
  • Mike - Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Richard will draft sub-phases to get us to April 1 2012 license cut-over. 

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Poland UMP-pcPL

Michal is an ordinary contributor to the UMP-pcPL project and kindly joined us to give a more detailed outline of the project so that we can look at ways cooperating and potential keeping data from UMP-pcPL contributors in the OSM. This will be very difficult as it probably requires the agreement of *every* UMP-pcPL contributor for any data at all to be left in.  We learnt, however, that virtually all initial OSM data from Poland came from UMP-pcPL imports, so a lot is built on it.

5. Second bulk emailing

Around 24,000 targeted mailings in German, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian and Dutch completed in the early hours of Monday 21 November 2011. Very successful, over 3,000 acceptances in 3 days. We are now just under 50,000 acceptances from pre-May 2010 registrants.  Germany has jumped from around 50% contributors accepting to 70.3% (http://odbl.de). The only countries below 70% are now Roumania, 68% and the UK, 69%.  25 folks have also declined, many of these accounts have very small or no contribution.

Our thanks to Simon Poole for the original suggestion and Richard Weait, Tom Hughes and translators Frederik, Emilie, Eugene, Ivan, Simone and Henk for particular good organisation and execution.

Our sysadmins have also kindly provided the following chart of preferred language and number of users.  The count is number of accounts with edits, but without a CT decision.

It will be worthwhile to translate for more languages as resources permit.

  language   | count
-------------+-------
en          | 21607
de          | 14310
fr          |  2828
ru          |  2172
es          |  2164
it          |  1340
nl          |  1119

The above users now have had at least one mailing in their language. The users below have only received a mailing in English.


pl          |   754
pt          |   671
cs          |   403
zh          |   376
sv          |   334
fi          |   303
ja          |   217
da          |   202
hu          |   187
ro          |   168
nb          |   168
sk          |   141
el          |   136
ko          |   123
tr          |   108
hr          |   102
ca          |    77
uk          |    69
he          |    62
no          |    58
bg          |    56
sl          |    56
lt          |    53
et          |    52
eu          |    50
ar          |    46
sr          |    30
mk          |    28
is          |    17
lv          |    16
th          |    15
fa          |    13
id          |    10

6. Database re-build (if anything)

- Email to legal-talk has gone out, responses need digesting.

- We have at least one case of an old anonymous user who has accepted the new contributor … but their contributions are still going to be flagged for folks to re-map.  Grant has asked Tom if he can determine how many more. We will check that they can still flip their configuration and put out an email to all anonymous contributors asking them to do that.

- We will start putting together a list examples of when an object can be deemed to be clean and put it out for debate, (some stuff from a non-compliant user in the history can be acceptable).

AOB

- http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/We_Are_Changing_The_License

Translators please note, this resource has slightly been updated.

- .yu emails

28 emails have gone out in Serbian, but not have had any response yet.

- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Metadata_Layers_-_Guideline

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Nov 29th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET

AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.

(Mike will not attend)