MINUTES - Millwall Youth Committee Meeting
Date: Thur 4th November 2010
Time: 19:00pm - 20:30pm
Venue: Millwall RFC Clubhouse
Attendees: Matt Shorrock (MS), Kerry Attwood (KA), Dawn Doherty (DD), Melanie Reily (MR), Hally Nguyen (HN), Michael Finnegan (MF), Sarah Edmead (SE), Chris Attwood (CA), Gary Mclaughlin (GM), Maureen Lajolie (ML), Scott Vinnicombe (SV), Kevin Doherty (KD); Kathy Garwood (KG)
- Performance Review & Feedback (MS)
- MS reviewed Oct highlights summary to the group.
- MS and AH planning to survey parents to find out how they prefer to be contacted/communicated to.
- MS still looking for someone to fill the coaching administrator position and trying to get assistants for all coaches.
- MS announced Coaching Coordinator role is now split. SV will be Coaching Advisor and will look after coaching plans, mentoring, qualifications and development for all youth coaches.
- Child Protection Policy (KA)
- Parents who are likely to take others children in their cars, doing coaching or general contact with children through club should be CRB checked (KA).
- RFU recommends that when a child joins the club they are given a “safeguarding pack” for which the parents sign. It was agreed this will be done from next season on registration day (MS and KA).
- It was suggested the policy can be included in membership booklet for now.
- MS to propose change at next adult committee meeting that all Millwall committee members (adult and youth) should be CRB checked.
- Xmas Party Format (KA)
- Agreed to provide Christmas party free – may be able to use some of the money raised at the Halloween party. Issue tickets to monitor numbers.
- DD to organise Xmas tree for clubhouse
- Proposed date Sunday 5th December.
- KA to organise and provide more information to youth committee ongoing
- Compulsory fancy dress for committee members.
- First Aid Update (DD)
- Have had good response, may end up doing two courses to accommodate. DD trying to get course for free or subsidised somehow.
- DD to meet with Dave Leftley to confirm about more medical kits, getting a specific cupboard upstairs for storing them, and items needed for kids medical kits that aren’t needed for adults.
- KA collating hard copy files including CRBs, first aid quals and coaching quals.
- Sponsorship Opportunities (MR)
- MR looking at a couple of big sponsors rather than lots of little ones.
- Putting together a pitch document to submit.
- Send names of potential sponsors to MR – ALL
- MR to update at next meeting.
- MS advised that the ongoing work involved in grants was comparatively prohibitive and sponsorship a better way to go.
- KD looking into reduced transport cost sponsorship but unlikely.
- AOB (ALL)
6.1 SPYP Course
- KA reminded everyone about 18th November Safeguarding Young People in Rugby course.
- Clubhouse keys to be changed.
- Portacabin – MS to speak to Mudchute about changing keys. KD/DD to organise new keys once mudchute approve.
- MF volunteered to be the minibus key man for the youth section. It will be his role to ensure that if the youth have the bus booked for Sunday, then the keys aren’t returned on the Saturday.
6.3 Contact numbers
- It was raised that neither MRFC or the community groups we work with know who to contact.
- Need to compile list of contact number for youth committee and also relevant club contacts to pass to Mudchute and DSC.
- We also need relevant contacts at those groups for us to contact in an emergency.
6.4 Kit issues
- There have been some issues with youth kit not being clean and ready on Sundays. MS advised that if this happens to just use whatever other clean kit that’s there and is appropriate for your age group.
6.4 Breakfast Club
- MF suggested setting up a breakfast club on Sunday mornings before training, kids can eat breakfast at the club. The group agreed in principal to a one-off spend of £20 in order to trial it on Sunday 13th November.
- Date of Next Meeting.
Thursday 2nd December 2010, 7pm @ Millwall Clubhouse
Summary of Actions from this meeting
CRB check all new/current youth volunteers
Incorporate CPP into booklet
Review current CPP and make amendments, if necessary
Raise CRB checks for all committee at next main committee meeting
Create hard copy files for all youth volunteers and insert copy of CRB certificates (to be stored upstairs in clubhouse)
Get new clubhouse keys to youth committee members who need them
Provide MF with list of dates youth have it booked
Arrange contact numbers for community groups
Collate and circulate contacts for youth committee
Set up and run breakfast club on Sun 13th Nov, report findings back to youth committee.
Back to Millwalllions.com