Sweet Coconut Biscuits
3/4 cup sorghum flour
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance (sub: butter, Spectrum Organic Palm Shortening)
3/4 cup coconut milk (regular, not lite)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest (optional)
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. liquid stevia
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Let sit for a minute, then whisk in the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until completely mixed.
- For baking, you have two options. You can put the batter in greased muffin tins (which is what I did for these photos) or use a spoon to put them on a greased cookie sheet, like drop biscuits. If you use the muffin tins, this recipe will make 8 large muffin biscuits, which will take approximately 20 minutes to bake. If you choose to separate the batter into 8 drop biscuits, you can use the same cooking time. If you want to make smaller biscuits, reduce the cooking time accordingly, checking your biscuits with a toothpick or fork to test for doneness.
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe.