Adding a Folder in Your Course Moodle ISU
The Folder resource allows you to create a folder containing various files with one link on the front page of your Moodle ISU course. You can then add files to the folder and all the students will have access to them through the folder link. Files within the folder are listed alphabetically.
This guide will help you to:
Add a Folder to Your Course
- Open Settings Gear Menu, and Click Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- Locate the week/topic in which you want to add the resource
- Click Add an activity or resource
- Select Folder
- Click Add
- In the Name field, Type the name of the folder. Students will see this name on the course homepage.
- In the Description field, Type a description of the folder or any additional information you would like students to see.
- If you would like this description displayed on the course page, Check the Display description on course page checkbox.
You can either add files to your folder individually or you can add a zipped file (and unzip the files).
Note: To add a file, see Adding a File to Your Course
Add a Zip Folder
- Follow the steps for uploading a file.
- Once the zip file has been uploaded, you can unzip it:
- Click the zipped file icon
- In the pop-up window, Select Unzip
Note: You will now see two folders with the same name – one will be the zip file and the other the unzipped folder. Once you have unzipped the folder, you will need to delete the zip file.
- Click the zipped file
- Click Delete
- Click OK
Add a Sub-Folder
You can add a sub-folder for further levels of organization. This will aid in retrieving your documents, as your files will be in an easier place to locate.
- Click Add a folder
- Name the folder
- Click Create folder
Make Folders Inside Sub-Folders
You can add nested folders for additional organization.
- Click the folder to which you would like to add a new folder
- Click the Create folder button.
- In the box that appears, Type the name of the folder
- Click on the name of the sub-folder you just created to open the folder
Change the Name of the Folder
To distinguish your folders from each other, you can name each one.
- Click on the small icon resembling three vertical dots in the lower right hand corner of folder.
- In the Name field, Type a new name
- Click Update
Note: For information on files and repositories, see Files and New Repositories
Common module settings
- Choose whether to Show or Hide the Page (default is Show)
- Enter and ID number only if you want a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank.
For more information on restricting access, see Restrict Access
For more information on activity completion or completion tracking, see Activity Completion
- Click Save and display to view the file
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the course homepage
- Click Cancel to delete the changes
Note: The new folder will always appear at the bottom of the list within the week/topic you have chosen.
For more information, see Folder resource
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.