Basic White Cupcakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
(Adapted from The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide, Part 2)
1 7/8 cups cassava flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup Earth Balance Coconut Spread or Coconut Oil
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup non-dairy yogurt (I used Amande cultured almond milk)
(optional) 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, cream together the sugar and Earth Balance until light with an electric beater, a good 5-10 minutes.
- Add the eggs ones at a time, continuing to beat after each addition.
- Add in half of the flour mixture, then half of the yogurt, continuing to blend. Add the rest of the flour, then the rest of the yogurt and blend until completely mixed. Add the lemon zest here as well if using.
- Place the batter into 24 lined or greased cupcake tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes before turning onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Iris Higgins The Daily Dietribe www.thedailydietribe.com