Helado Malagueño (Rum Raisin Ice Cream) Recipe
1 cup packed raisins
2/3 cup dark rum
12 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
- Combine the raisins and rum in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Cover and let stand for 2 hours. Pour off the rum, reserving 6 tablespoons. Add the 6 tablespoons back to the raisins.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a glass bowl until creamy.
- Bring the milk and cream to a boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stirring constantly, use a 1/2 cup measure or large spoon to gradually add the hot milk mixture to the eggs and sugar. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. Do not let boil.
- Pour the custard into a glass bowl. Stir in the raisins and rum. Refrigerate until cold.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a covered plastic container and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings
Recipe courtesy of The Fire Island Cookbook by Mike DeSimone and Jeff Jenssen