Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Adapted from Annie’s Eats
Yield - 1 quart
Adapted from Cookie Crazy Cupcakes via Cookies & Cups
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer to low and beat in the vanilla and milk until well combined.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until just combined. Then beat in the mini chocolate chips.
- Push the dough into a square and wrap in plastic wrap for a few hours or overnight.
Ice Cream Base
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
4 egg yolks
pinch of Kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup chopped up cookie dough
- Place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and let it brown. Once the butter is browned, add in the heavy cream and heat together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, salt, and brown sugar until lighter in color.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the warm cream mixture into the eggs and whisk to warm the eggs.
- Pour the eggs into the cream and heat until the mixture reaches 170 F.
- Strain the mixture with a fine mesh sieve in a new bowl and then stir in the milk and vanilla. Refrigerate until cold.
Directions with the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker attachment
- Take the ice cream maker bowl out of the freezer and assemble. Turn on the mixer. Slowly pour in the ice cream base. Mix for 10 minutes. Add in the chocolate chips.
- After 10-15 more minutes add in the chopped up cookie dough and only mix until combined.
- Use a rubber scraper to place all the ice cream in a freezer proof container. Freeze until firm.