Ravioli with Tofu Riccota
Makes about 24 raviolis, Serves 4
* 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
* 3 to 4 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
1. Mix all ingredients together, either in a bread making or a large bowl. If doing by hand, knead the dough for about 8 minutes, adding more flour if sticky or more water if the dough won't hold together well.
2. Once you have kneaded it into a smooth ball, cover with plastic wrap in a slightly greased bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
Start preparing your filling while you wait ( See Below )
3. Once your dough has rested, divide it in half or in quarters, for easier rolling and begin to roll each piece on a well floured surface. Continue rolling until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
Once all the dough is rolled out, its time to start assembling them. You can go about this several different ways.
The first way would be to lay out one sheet of pasta and place about 1/2 tsp of filling, two inches apart. Then place another sheet of pasta on top and press down around the outside edges of the dough, to seal. Cut out each ravioli using a ravioli cutter or a pastry wheel.
The second way would be to cheat and use a ravioli maker. You basically do the same as above but using one of these helps to get each ravioli to the exact same size.
Make sure to keep each ravioli separate from the others because if they touch they will stick like crazy.
4. Once done, place in a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, 7-10 minutes. Remove and drain well from pot.
To Serve - Place in a large bowl and add the marinara sauce. Divide the raviolis among four plates.
Tofu Ricotta Cheese
Makes 3 cups
* 7 ounces water, packed firm tofu, drained ( about half of a carton )
* 1/4 cup yellow miso
* 2/3 cup water
* 1/4 cup tahini
* 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 large cloves garlic
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
1. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. The cheese will keep for 2 days, covered and refrigerated.