ALPENA PUBLIC SCHOOLS - STUDENT NETWORK/INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Please read this document carefully before signing. ALL THREE (3) SIGNATURES on the reverse of this document are required.
This agreement is entered into this _____ day of _______________ between _____________________________ (Student Name) and the Alpena Public School District (“District”). The purpose of this agreement is to establish guidelines for access by Student to the Internet, including access to networked computers, laptops and standalone computers (“Network”). Access to the Network is provided to the Student for educational purposes and to assist in advancing the curriculum and to enhance lesson plans.
In exchange for the privilege of using the Network, the undersigned agree(s) as follows:
- The Student and his or her parents and/or guardians acknowledge that it is not possible for the District to restrict access to all controversial or objectionable material on the Network.
- The Student and his or her parents acknowledge that the Student does not have an expectation of privacy in his or her use of the District’s Network or any part of it. The District reserves the right to monitor the Network, including but not limited to Internet use and approved electronic mail.
- Network access is provided for educational use by the Student. Use of the Network for commercial purposes, unapproved web based electronic mail or other unauthorized purposes are expressly forbidden.
- Network resources are intended for use exclusively by registered users. The Student is responsible for the use of his/her account password and access privileges. Any problems that arise from the use of his/her account are the responsibility of the Student. Use of an account by someone other than the account holder is forbidden and may result in loss of access privileges. Any loss of security in an account password or in access privileges must be reported immediately to an appropriate Network administrator.
- The use of the Network is a privilege, which may be revoked by the District at any time and for any reason. Any misuse of Network access privileges may result in suspension or revocation of access privileges and/or other disciplinary action as determined by the District. Misuse includes but is not limited to the following;
- Intentionally accessing or attempting to access files, data, or information without authorization.
- Impersonating another user on the Network.
- Activity which is detrimental to the stability and security of the Network, including but not limited to the intentional or negligent introduction of computer viruses and vandalism or abuse of hardware or software.
- The transmission or voluntary receipt of material which would constitute a violation of federal or state law, including, but not limited to, copyrighted material; harassing, abusive, threatening, sexually explicit or obscene material; material protected as a trade secret; defamatory statements; material which would constitute an invasion of privacy; or any material which would reasonably be considered discriminatory on the basis of sex, race, national origin, religion, height, weight, age and disability. The district will provide educational opportunities for students to learn about appropriate online behavior.
- Use of recreational programs or communications during the school day.
- Installing, downloading, copying or using any software without proper authority.
- Intentionally interfering with the use of the Network by others.
- Intentionally wasting Network resources such as disk space, printer ink or paper.
- Unapproved web-based electronic mail (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo mail, etc.)
- Disclosing personal information.
- Accessing technology without permission.
- The District does not warrant that the Network will meet any specific requirements that the Student may have, that service will not be interrupted or that information obtained on the Network will be accurate or complete. The District will not be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including but not limited to lost data, information or time) sustained or incurred in connection with use of inability to use the Network by the Student. Use of the Network and any information or data obtained through use of the Network is at the user’s own risk.
- The Student may not transfer files, shareware or other software from the Internet or external device. The Student will be liable to pay any costs or fees incurred as a result of any transfers without express permission from the Network Administrator regardless of whether the transfer was intentional or accidental.
- The Student must have prior approval from an appropriate Network administrator for any subscriptions with any electronic mail lists or news groups.
- Users violating any provisions of this Acceptable Use Policy face disciplinary action. The District reserves to itself discretion to determine appropriate discipline and will consider the nature and severity of the violation. Possible disciplinary actions include (any/all of the following):
- Suspension or revocation of Network access.
- Requiring additional training as a precondition to continued use of the Network.
- Financial restitution for any unauthorized expenses or damages.
- Confiscation of inappropriate materials.
- Additional disciplinary action consistent with the student handbook or code of conduct.
- In addition, the District may refer matters to appropriate law enforcement authorities. Nothing herein shall be construed as providing that the District must find a violation of the agreement in order to suspend or revoke the access privileges of a Student. Use of the Network is a privilege and not a right, and the District reserves discretion to suspend or revoke access privileges for any reason or for no reason.
- This Acceptable Use Policy is subject to change without notice. Any changes to the Acceptable Use Policy will be posted in an appropriate and publicly accessible location on the Network by the Network administrator.
This Acceptable Use Policy is intended to assist the District with compliance of the Children’s Internet Protection Act. (Rev. 05/2012, 2/2014)
See reverse for signatures...
ALPENA PUBLIC SCHOOLS - STUDENT NETWORK/INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Please read the document on the reverse carefully before signing. ALL THREE (3) SIGNATURES below are required. These signatures indicate that you have read all of the terms and conditions of the Student Network/Internet Acceptable Use Policy (on the reverse) and understand their significance.
In consideration of the privilege of using the Network, I hereby release the District, its employees, agents and individual members of the Board of Education from any and all claims or causes of action arising out of my use or misuse of the Network or Network equipment. I agree to use the Network responsibly and to abide by the rules and regulations set forth herein and as may be added from time to time by the District.
Name of Student (please print) ___________________________________________________________________
I have reviewed the Network/Internet Acceptable Use Policy with my parent/guardian (or I have reached the age of 18).
I understand that Network access is a privilege provided for educational purposes. I understand that it is impossible for the District to restrict access to all controversial material. I hereby release the District, its employees and agents and individual members of the Board of Education from any and all claims or causes of action arising out of my use or misuse of the Network or Network equipment. In addition, I agree to indemnify the District for any fees, expenses or damages incurred as a result of my use or misuse of the Network or Network equipment.
1) ___________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Signature of Student Date
The following section must be completed for all students who have not reached the age of 18.
As the Student’s parent or legal guardian, I have read and agree to this Network/Internet Acceptable Use Policy and have discussed it with my son or daughter. I understand that Network access is a privilege provided for educational purposes. I understand that it is impossible for the District to restrict access to all controversial material. I hereby release the District, its employees and agents and individual members of the Board of Education from any and all claims or causes of action arising out of my use or misuse of the Network or Network equipment. In addition, I agree to indemnify the District for any fees, expenses or damages incurred as a result of my child’s use or misuse of the Network or Network equipment.
2) __________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Signature of Parent/Guardian Date
Permission for the Publication of Student Work/Pictures
I understand that from time-to-time the school may wish to publish examples of student projects, photographs of students and other work on an Internet accessible World Wide Web server. Before signing please answer YES or NO to the following two items.
Circle One: YES NO This student’s work may be published on the Internet (no name attached).
Circle One: YES NO Photographs of this student may be published on the Internet (no name attached).
3) __________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Signature of Parent/Guardian (or Student age >18) Date
Return this form to your classroom/homeroom teacher.