Albert V. Chong
140 Cherokee Way, Boulder CO
Home Phone 303 - 554 -1598, Studio phone: 303 - 492 - 6055
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
School of Visual Arts, New York City. B.F.A., Honors, 1981
University of California, San Diego, CA. 1991 M.F.A.
2006 - Present University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Art and Art History
January - March 2006 Stanford University, Institute for Diversity in the Arts (IDA) and Department of Art & Art History, Palo Alto, California (Visiting Professor)
1997- 2006 University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Art and Art History (Associate Professor)
1996 - 97 Rhode Island School of Design, Department of Photography, Providence Rhode Island
1991 - 96 University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Art and Art History
1989 - 91 Mira Costa Community College, Art Department, Oceanside, California (Photography Instructor)
1986 - 88 School of Visual Arts, New York, NY, Department of Continuing Education,
Awards, Fellowships & Grants
2011 - Dean’s Fund for Excellence, College of Arts & Science, University of Colorado at Boulder
2010 - Dean’s Fund for Excellence, College of Arts & Science, University of Colorado at Boulder
2009 - Technology Grant, Department of Art & Art History, University of Colorado at Boulder
2008 - Dean’s Grant, College of Arts & Science, University of Colorado at Boulder
2006 - Institute for Diversity in the Arts Fellowship (IDA), Stanford University, California
2002 - Absolut Expressions: Commission for Absolut Spirits Company
2000 - Dean’s Advancement Fund, University of Colorado at Boulder
1998 - John Simon Guggenhein Memorial Foundation Fellowship in Photography,
John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, New York, New York
1998 - Pollock Krasner Artist Grant, Pollock Krasner Foundation, New York, New York
1997 - ArtPace, 1997/98 International Artist-in-Residency Program, Pace Foundation, San Antonio, Texas
1996 - Brooklyn Academy of Music's Next Wave Festival, Visual Artist Initiative (Artist In Action
Series) Black Fathers & Sons Performed at BAM's Majest ic Theatre Nov./96 in Brooklyn in
collaboration with Johnny Coleman, Quincy Troupe & Keith Antar Mason & The Hittite Empire.
1992 - National Endowment for the Arts, Individual Artist Fellowship (Photography)
1991 - National Endowment for the Arts Regional Fellowship (Photography) Western States
1990 - California Arts Council Individual Artist Fellowship, (Photography)
1982 - C.A.P.S. Photography Fellowship, (Creative Artist Program Service Grant, New York, New York
1977 - Silver and Bronze Medals for Photography, Jamaica Festival of the Arts, Kingston,
Jamaica, West Indies.
2011 - The Mosaics & Other Works, The Mutual Gallery, September 12, 2011 - October 22, 2011,
- Hope Deferred: The Tile Photomosaics: New Works on Stone by Albert Chong at Walker
Fine Arts, Denver, Colorado Aug 5- Sept 10, 2011
2010 - Dread In Exile: A Survey of Works by Albert Chong from June 11–Aug. 26
at Loves Jazz & Arts Center, Omaha, Nebraska
- Eco, Xiang, Echo: Meditations on the African, Andean & Asian Diasporas,
Photomosaics, on Stone at Project Row Houses in Houston, Texas
3/ 27/10 - 6/20/10
2009 - Layered Associations, Folio Gallery, Art Department Texas Tech University, Lubbock,
Texas, USA Jan. 26th – Feb. 9th 2009
2004 - Albert Chong: 20 Photographs, Zemicon Gallery, Bridgetown, Barbados, West Indies
2003 - Projections: Photographs by Albert Chong, Chelsea Galleria, Miami, Florida, USA
- Natural Spirits: Photographs by Albert Chong, African American Museum in
Philadelphia, March 14 – August 13, 2003
- Incantations: Images & Objects at the University Library California State University,
San Marcos, CA
2002 - Family Love: Photographs by Albert Chong at The Zora Neale Hurston National Museum
of Fine Arts, Eatonville, Florida, USA
- Memories in Exile an exhibition of photographs and an object at Salina Art Center, Salina,
Kansas, USA July 20 - Sept 22, 2002
2001 - Extremes of Violence, Extremes of Religions, (tribute to the victims of WTC Tragedy in
form of thousands of Paper Airplanes. Kaohshiung International Container Arts Festival,
Kaohshiung, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Imaging The Spirit at Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art Boulder. Colorado, USA
- Winged Evocations at Emison Arts Center, Depauw University Greencastle, Indiana, USA
2000 - Projections, at Throckmorton Fine Art, NY, NY, USA
2001 - Winged Evocations, Kinetic Sculptural Installation in La Cabana Fortress at the Seventh
Havana Bienal, Havana, Cuba, (Jamaica’s representative to the 7th Havana Biennal)
- Across The Void, Photographs by Albert Chong at Robert B.Menschel Photography
Gallery, Schine Student Center, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, USA
1999 - Albert Chong, Photography, Kiang Gallery, Atlanta, GA.
- Illuminated Allegories, An Exhibition of Photographs at University Art Gallery Atrium,
University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, Dartmouth, MA
- Albert Chong, An Exhibition of Photographs 7/9 - 8/18/99, The Airport Atrium Gallery,
Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport
- Selected Images, Carol Keller Gallery, Denver, Colorado
Traveling Solo Exhibitions
1998 - Winged Evocations, A Kinetic Sculptural Installation work at Allen Memorial Art Museum,
Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio.(3/17/98)
- Winged Evocations, A Kinetic Sculptural Installation work at William Benton Museum of
Art, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT,
1999 - Winged Evocations at William King Regional Arts Center, Abingdon, VA
- Winged Evocations at IRADAC, City University of New York (CUNY)
2000 - Winged Evocations at Waterloo Museum of Art, Waterloo, Iowa (Exhibition supported in
part by Hawkeye Community College, Friends of the Art Museum & The Iowa Department
of Cultural Affairs.
1997 - Albert Chong,, Photographs, Pan American Art Gallery, Dallas, Texas
1996 - Works & Objects, Throckmorton Fine Arts, New York City
- Ancestral Dialogues, Photographs and Installation at the Project Row Houses.
Co-sponsored project of FotoFest’96, Houston, TX and Project Row Houses, Houston, TX
1995 - Ancestral Dialogues, Albert Chong at Inter Amercan Art Gallery, Miami Dade Community
College, Wolfson Campus, Miami, Florida. 12/14/95 - 2/2/96
- Selections : Photographs by Albert Chong, Artscene, Lamar Community College, Lamar,
- Albert Chong: Photographs from Ancestral Dialogues, Cleveland, Museum of Art,
1994 - Yard : A Jamaican Portrait, Chelsea Galleries, Kingston, Jamaica, West Indies
- Albert Chong, Selections From Recent Works, CU Art Galleries, University of Colorado at
Boulder. Boulder, Colorado, USA
- Yin/Yang, Us/Them, La Torre de Tejuana, Mexico, InSite 94
- Albert Chong, Sangre De Cristo Arts Center, Pueblo, CO. (3/7/94 - 4/24/94
- Albert Chong, Works from Ancestral Dialogues, The Friends of Photography,
Ansel Adams Center for Photography, San Francisco, CA
1993 - Albert Chong - Works, Porter Randall Gallery, La Jolla, CA -
- YIN/YANG, US/THEM, BLACK/WHITE, GOOD/BAD. An Installation at
the Bronx Museum of Art, Bronx, N.Y.
1991 - Albert Chong "Homecoming "New Photography Chelsea Galleries, Kingston, Jamaica,
- Sunday Dinner for the Ancestors at Angels Gate Cultural Center San Pedro, CA.
- Blood is Thicker ("Sunday Dinner For The Ancestors") An Installation at
Southwestern College Art Gallery.
1990 - A Substitute Sacrifice, An installation at Kruglak Gallery, Mira Costa College,
1989 - Healing the Cross, Healing the Symbol: A Substitute Sacrifice Sacrifice. An Installation
Work at The Mandeveille Annex Gallery, University of California, San Diego.
1983 - Undercurrents, at Just Above Midtown/Downtown Gallery, NYC.
1981 - Dread In Exile," School of Visual Arts, New York, NY.
2010 - Third World Festival of Black Arts & Cultures, Dakar, Senegal Dec.10 -30, 2010
- 1st International Caribbean Triennial, Santo Domingo 2010, Dominican Republic, September
1st – Oct. 24th 2010 (representing Jamaica)
- Untitled Art Show, Walker Fine Art, Denver, Colorado
2009 - Out of the Archives: Process and Progress: Asian American Arts Centre, NYC,
New York, USA September 18 –Oct 16 2009
- The Art of Caring : A Look at Life Through Photography, May 16- Oct 11, 2009
The New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans, Lousiana, USA
- Click, A Trigger Happy Photography Show, Pan American Art Projects, Miami, Florida,
USA January 31st - February 28th, 2009
- Through The Lens :Photography From the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Miami,
Florida, June 27 – October 4th , 2009
- Inaugural Exhibition, 12/1/09-1/1/10, ARTSITE, Coral Gables, FL,
- Double Exposure: African Americans Before and Behind the Camera, DePaul University
Museum from April 16 - June 14, 2009, Chicago, IL
2008 - DIALOG: Denver. Robischon Gallery, Denver, Colorado (April 27 to June 28, 2008)
- Double Exposure: African Americans Before and Behind the Camera,
Traveling Group Exhibition: Venues as follows:
Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD) San Francisco, CA (6/19/08 – 9/28/08)
DePaul University Museum from April 16 - June 14, 2009, Chicago, IL
The Southeast Museum of Photography from Jan 16 - April 23,
Daytona State College, Daytona Beach, Florida
The David Driskell Center, Univ of Maryland from Jan 20 - March 11, 2011
University of Maryland College Park , MD 20742
- Curators Eye 111: Ceremony in Space, Time & Sound at the National Gallery of Art, Jamaica,
Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.(April 27 to June 28, 2008)
- Performing Identities, Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO Jan. 7- Feb. 16, 2008
- Nation of Immigrants: What influenced their Art? At Arts Students League of Denver,Denver,
Colorado (Jan 4 - Feb 27)
2007 - Crossing The Line: African American Artists in the Jacqueline Bradley & Clarence Otis, Jr.
Collection, Cornell Fine Arts Museum, Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida, Jan. 19 – May 20
- Expressions of Freedom and Justice, MLK at The Dairy, Dairy Center for The Arts, Boulder, CO
- Equatorial Rhythms, Stenersen Museum, Oslo, Norway (Sept.– Dec. 2007)
- Blacks In and out of the box, California African American Museum, Los Angeles, California
2006 - New Possessions: An Islands Independence: Jamaican Art on the 44th Anniversary of Jamaican
Independence, Art Museum of The Americas, Washington, D.C.
- Religion And Personal Identity, 9/21/06, Southeastern Contemporary Art Gallery, Southeastern
Louisiana University, Hammond, La
- Double Exposure: African American Photographers Before and Behind the Camera at the Wadsworth
Athenaeum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
2005 - No Country is an Island: Issues of Freedom and Diaspora in Caribbean Art, September 12-October
20, Raritan Valley Community College Art Gallery, North Branch, New Jersey
2004 - Three Visions One Sculptor: Aspects of Humanity, Nov.29-Dec. 31st, 2004, Chelsea Galleria,
- PILLish: Harsh Realities and Gorgeous Destinations, Museum of Contemporary Art, Denver, CO
- Curators Eye, National Gallery of Jamaica, Jamaica, West Indies
- Rousings, Contemporary Jamaican Art, National Gallery of The Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman,
Traveling Group Exhibition
- Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of The American Self, curated by Coco Fusco and Brian Wallis,
International Center of Photography, NYC 2004
- Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of The American Self, Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, CA, 2005
2003 - Defying Gravity: North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA (Winged Evocations) - Love and/or Terror: A Book Arts Exhibition and Symposium, at The University of Arizona Museum of Art
Tuscon, AZ, USA
- Public Responsibility, Art Museum of The Americas, Washington, DC
- Un/Familiar Territory (premier of Throne for Third Millenium) at Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, California
- Images of The Spirit, works by Albert Chong, Radcliffe Bailey & Whitfield Lovell at the Arts Center St. Petersburg, Florida
2002 - Mundos Creados: ijns-Amerikaanse Fotografie, 2002 Photo Festival Fries Museum, Leeuwarden,
- Fifteen Jamaican Artists January 26 to March 2, 2002, Skoto Gallery, NYC
2001 - Jamaica In Venice: Albert Chong, Keith Morrison, Arthur Simms
Venice Biennial, Venice, Italy at Palagraziussi Antico Oratori Fillipp Neri Castello 5500/c(Rialto)
30122 Venezia, Jamaica’s First Participation in the Venice Biennial. June 10 - Nov. 4, 2001
- Marks of the Soul: Poetics, Philosophies & Religions, Eight Caribbean Artists, curated by
Barbaro Ruiz Martinez at Ritter Art Gallery, Florida Atlantic University, Mar. 10 -April 14, 2001,
- Committed To The Image: Contemporary Black Photographers Brooklyn Museum of Art,
Brooklyn, New York
Traveling Group Exhibition
2001 - Jamaican Art: In The Fullness Of Time, Plymouth State College, New Hampshire, Karl Drerup Art Gallery 2/9,01-4/7,20
- Jamaican Art In the Fullness of Time: Jamaican Culture and the Well Grounded Memory, Feb. 1
to Mar. 1, 2002 Sidney Mishkin Gallery, Baruch College, NYC
1989 - Syncretism: Marta Maria Perez Bravo, Albert Chong & Mari Cravo Neto, 10/31 – Jan 5, 2000,
Lehman College Art Gallery, Bronx, New York
- American Perspectives: Photographs from the Polaroid Collection Tokyo Metroplitan Museum of
Photography, Tokyo, Japan
- ELEMENTAL VISIONS: Photographs by Mario Cravo Neto, Carlos Emilio, & Albert Chong at
Carmen Llewellyn Gallery, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Imaging African Art, Documentation Ands Transformation curated by Daniell Cornel and Cheryl
Finley, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut
- Reflections in Black: A History of Black Photographers 1840 to the Present, Smithsonian,
Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture, Washington, D.C.
- The Book As Art, 4/14 - May 7, 2000, Boulder Public Library, Boulder, CO
Traveling Group Exhibition
- Soon Come : The Art of Jamaica, (Traveling Exhibition)
- Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska, May 13 - June 25, 2000
- Museum of Nebraska Art, Kearney, Nebraska, 7/17 –9/4th, 2000
- Norfolk Arts Center, Norfolk, Nebraska, Sept. 25 - Nov. 13, 00
- Metropolitan State College, Denver, Colorado, Aug.23, 01-Oct.01
- The Lowe Art Museum, Corol Cables, Florida, 6/12, 2002 – 7/28/02
1999 - Chairs! Chairs! Chairs! The Center For The Visual Arts, Metropolitan State College of Denver
- Collide, Emmanuel Gallery, Denver Colorado
- Place & Diversity: Memory & location, Sept. 28-Dec 16 IRADAC, City University of New York, Harlem, NY
- Faces & Places: Non Traditional Portraiture & Landscape through the Contemporary Photographic
Perspective, City Gallery East, Atlanta, GA
1998 - Centro America y el Caribe: una historia en blanco y negro, XXIV Bienal Sao Paulo 1998, Sao Paulo, Brazil (representing Jamaica)
- Caribe, exclusion, fragmentacion y paraiso curated by Maria Lluisa Borras and Antonio Zaya at MEIAC,
Spain, traveling to Madrid, Paris, Berlin
1997 - Ancestors, Kiang Gallery, Atlanta, Georgia
1996 - Act/Language:Power & Display, Nov. 15 - Dec 23, 96, IRADAC Institute for Research on
African diaspora the Americas & Caribbean, City University of New York
- Chambers of Enchantment: recovery & loss, CEPA Gallery Buffalo, NY (Sept 20- Dec 1, 1996)
- The Familial Gaze, Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire
- Untitled Exhibition, Regis University, O'Sullivan Arts Center
- Close To Heart, The Light Factory Photographic Arts Center
Traveling Group Exhibition
1995 - New World Imagery: Contemporary Jamaican Art,
- Hayward Gallery, Royal Festival Hall(Sept/95)
- Arnolfini, Bristol Sept.23-Nov.12,95
- City Art Gallery, Southampton, Nov.24/95-Jan. 7/96
- Royal Festival Hall,London, Jan - Feb. 1996
- Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, Feb.22-April 5/96
- Angel Row Gallery, Nottingham, April 12- May 11/1996
Traveling Group Exhibition
- Caribbean Visions: Contemporary Painting & Sculpture, Center for Fine Art, Miami,
- New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans, Louisiana 1/27/96 - 3/24/96)
- Portsmouth Museum, Portsmouth, Virginia (July 13 - Sept. 8/96)
- African American Museum, Dallas, Texas (Oct.5 - Dec.15/96)
- Middlebury College Museum of Art, Middlebury, Vermont (Jan 11 - Mar. 9/97)
- Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut(April 5-June 15/97
- Center For African American History & Culture, Smithsonian Institution,
Washington, DC (July 12 - Oct.4/97)
Traveling Group Exhibition
- Points of Entry: Tracing Cultures, A Nation Of Strangers, Reframng America at
- Ansel Adams Center for Photography, SF, CA,
- The Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, CA,
- The Center For Creative Photography, Tuscon, AZ, respectively Traveling to: International Museum of Photography, George Eastman House, (April 1996)
- National African American Museum Project Smithsonian Institution, Wash. D.C.,(Aug 96)
- High Museum of Art,Nexus Contemporary Arts Center,
- Jimmy Carter Presidential Library-Museum, Atlanta, GA (Feb/97)
- Center For The Fine Arts, Miami, FL(Sept/97)
- Traces : The Body In Contemporary Photography, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, Bronx,
NY (6/ 14-9/95)
- Africus, The First Johnannesburg Biennial, Johnnesburg, South Africa,
- Still/Life, The Body as Object in Contemporary Photography, The Americas Society Art
- Cultural Connections, Spaces gallery, Cleveland, Ohio
- Ancestors, Asian American Arts Centre & Kenkeleba House, NYC
1994 - Imagining Families: Images and Voices, National African American Museum, Smithsonian
Institution, Wash. DC
- Fire Without Gold, Center For Photography at Woodstock, Woodstock, NY.
- Pequeno Formato Latino Americano,(Latin American Small Format Show) Luigi Marrozzini
Gallery, Puerto Rico,West Indies
- The Fifth Havana Biennial, Havana, Cuba, May-June 94, The Wifredo Lam Centre,
1993 - ‘The Family Seen' SF Camera Work. San Francisco, CA.
- Ritos en Vivo (Living Rites) Carla Stellweg Latin American and Contemporary Art, N.Y, N.Y.
- Ancestral Spirits', El Camino College Art Gallery, Torrance, CA.
- There Is A World Through Our Eyes: Perceptions and Visions of The African American
Photographer', Rockland Center For The Arts & Blue Hill Cultural Center, Rockland County, NY.
- Inside the Black Experience, Union Gallery University of Arizona, Tuscon, Arizona
1992 - Counterweight' Alienation, Assimilation, Resistance Contemporary Arts Forum , Santa
- El Dia De Los Muertos' Boulder Art Center, Boulder, CO
- "Cross Cultural Explorations" The Atlanta College Of Art Gallery, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Parents, Museum of Contemporary Art at Wright State University Creative Arts Center,
- "Jamaica to Brooklyn 1992" A Cross Section of Current Jamaican Art,.Salena Gallery, Long
Island University, Brooklyn Campus
- "Remains" Grove Gallery, University of California, San Diego
- " Persona" Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, CA
- "Images and Objects" Porter Randall Gallery, La Jolla,CA
- "The Decade Show," The New Museum of Contemporary Art, NYC
- "Outside of Tradition," Southwestern College Art Gallery, Chula Vista, CA.
- "American Resources II," Jan Stein Gallery, Tampa, FL.
Traveling Group Exhibition
1991 - The Pleasures and Terrors of Domestic Comfort, Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY.
- Baltimore Museum of Art(Aug. 26-Oct. 4 /1992)
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art(Nov. 12, 92 -Jan. 24,93
- Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati (April 3- May 29, 1993)
Traveling Group Exhibition
- "Interrogating Identity: The Question of 'Black' Art," Grey Art Gallery & Study Center/NYU Art
Collection (Travelling Show)
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Walker Art Center Minneapolis, MN., Madison Arts Center, Madison, Wisconsin.
1990 - "Poetic License," State University of New York, Stony Brook.
Traveling Group Exhibition
- "Convergence," Photographic Resource Center at Boston University,
- Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY.
- Film In The Cities, St. Paul, MN.(9/20 - 10/25, 1991)
- Houston Center for Photography, Houston, Texas.(11/8 - 12/29, 1991)
- University of California, Irvine. (1/9/ - 2/13 - 1992)
- Hammonds House Gallery, Atlanta, Georgia(3/15 -4/26-1992)
- University Art Gallery, University of Albany, NY
- Pennslyvania School of Art & Design, Lancaster, PA.(Nov.7- 30, 1992
- Tampa Museum of Art, Tampa, Florida,(Feb. 6 - April 1st/94)
- Frostburg State University,Frostburg, MD. Oct.5-Nov. 21, 1993
- Olin Gallery, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH. 12/ 12/93- 1/24/94
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO. 9/30 -10/11/94
- Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY. Feb. 6 - Mar. 18, 95
- Lowe Art Gallery, Syracuse, NY
1989 - "American Resources: Selected Works of African-American Artists,"
Downtown Arts Gallery, Church Street Center, Nashville, TN/
Bernice Steinbaum Gallery, NYC.
- "Bridges and Boundaries," New House Center for Contemporary Art, Snug Harbor Cultural
Center, Staten Island, NY
Traveling Group Exhibition
"American Pictures of the 1980's: The Photography of Invention,"
- National Museum of American Art, Washington, DC.
- The Smithsonian Museum, Washington, DC.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL.
- The Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN.
Traveling Group Exhibition
-"New Photography: Constructed Images," Studio Museum in Harlem, NYC.
- Houston Fotofest, Houston, TX.
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- Berkeley Museum, University of California. Berkeley
- Mandeville Gallery,University of California, San Diego.
- Port Washington Public Library,Port Washington,NY
- Bamani Gallery, San Franciso, California.
1988 - "Imprinted Memories," Gallery at Hastings on Hudson, Hastings, NY.
- "Double Vision, "Hallwalls Gallery, Buffalo, NY.
1987 - "Rooms With A View," B.C.A. Longwood Arts Gallery, Bronx, NY.
- "Mixed Material," Gallery 69, Bronx, NY.
- "Faculty Photos," Visual Arts Gallery, New York, NY.
- "Curator's Choice: The Photographer's Mind," CEPA Gallery,
- "En Foco," Lehman College Art Gallery, Bronx, NY.
- "The Mind's I," Part 4, Asian Arts Institute, NYC.
- 'Inaugural Exhibition' Harlem Renaissance Gallery, NY
- "ars brvklyniensis Part IV:Photography, "Wiesner Gallery, Brooklyn NY.
Traveling Group Exhibition
-"Large as Life,"
:Henry Street Settlement, New York, NY.
Jamaica Arts Center, Queens, NY.
1986 - "Myth and Magic, Offerings and Amplifications," Henry Street, Settlement, NYC
- "Vision and Re-vision," Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. State Office Building
Gallery, curated by Studio Museum in Harlem, New York, NY
- "Asian Artists of Brooklyn," Brooklyn Museum Community Gallery, Bklyn. NY
- "Women of Color Defined and Redefined, A Photographic Essay,"Unicorn Gallery/Museum,
- "Annual Open Studio Exhibition," Asian Arts Institute, NYC
- "We Follow the Dream," Collaborative Installation with Wayne
Providence and Albert Trotman, BACA Downtown, Brooklyn, NY
1985 - "Seeing is Believing," Alternative Museum, NYC
- "Another World," Bronx River Gallery, Bronx, NY.
- "10 Photographers," Fotoforum, New York, NY.
- "The Atriumshow," Fotoforum, New York, NY.
- "Photo Collective," Studio Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
1984 - "Photography on Women," Studio Gallery, Bklyn, NY.
- "Contemporary Afro-American Painting and
Sculpture," Bayly Museum, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA.
- "Photonational/84," Erie Art Museum, Erie, PA.
- "Alternate Visions," Mercer County Community College, Trenton, New Jersey.
- "Caribbean Influence," The Rotunda Gallery, Bklyn. NY
Traveling Group Exhibition
- "Contemporary Afro-American Photography,"
- Allen Memorial Art Museum, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH.
- University Center, Delta College, Detroit, MI.
- Chicago public Library & cultural Center, Chicago,
- Weatherspoon Art Gallery, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, NC.
- Colgate University Art Collections and Picker Art Gallery, Hamilton, NY
- The Mary Louise Center for Black Culture, Duke University, Durham, NC
1983 - "14 Photographers," Schomburg Center For Research in Black Culture, New York. NY
- "Photography," Visual Arts Gallery, New York, NY.
- "People of Color," William Patterson College, Wayne,NJ
Traveling Group Exhibition
- "1982-83 C.A.P.S. (Creative Artists Program Service ) Photography Fellowship
- Catskill Center for Photography, Woodstock, NY.
- Munson-William Proctor Institute, Utica, NY., Nikon House, New York, NY.
1982 - "Image and Imagination," Jazzonia Gallery, Detroit,MI
- "Atlanta Life Third National Art Exhibition," Atlanta Life Insurance, Company, Atlanta, GA.
1981 - "The Senior Show" Visual Arts Museum, School of Visual Arts, New York, NY.
- Polaroid Land Corporation Group Show," Clarence Kennedy Gallery, Cambridge, MA.
1977 - "Festival Photography Exhibition," Jamaica Festival of the Arts, Kingston, Jamaica, West Indies
SELECT COLLECTIONS: PUBLIC & PRIVATE
- Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Clark Atlanta University Art Gallery, Atlanta, GA
- Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University,
Lubbock, Texas, USA
- Khalil Moses, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Sandran Bramwell, Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.
- Tony Walters, NY
- John & Jennifer Wedemier, Boulder, CO
- Jacqueline Bishop, New York, New York
- Travis Allison, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- Marshall Student Center at the University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- The Colorado Collection, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Kristen Moore, Englewood, C
- Charles Guice, Oakland, CA
- Greg Smith, Shorthill, New Jersey
- National Art Gallery Committee of Barbados/National Cultural Foundation,
Barbados, West Indies (2004)
- Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO (2004)
- Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Miami, Florida (2004)
- Sprint Corporation Art Collection, Overland Park, Kansas (2003)
- International Center of Photography (ICP) NYC, NY (2004)
- Kathryn Keller, Boulder, Colorado (2003)
- Joan Markowitz, Boulder, Colorado (2004)
- Clarence Otis Jr. & Jacqueline L. Bradley, Windermere, Fl (2002)
- Stephen & Sandra Darros, San Diego, CA, USA (2002)
- Stella Holmes, Miami, FL
- Martha Schneider, Chicago, IL
- Joan Wich, Houston, TX
- Veronica Chambers, New Jersey
- Daniel Echavarria, Miami, Florida
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georgia
- Mark & Polly Addison, Boulder, Colorado (2003)
- Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut
- Danny Simmons, Brooklyn, NY
- Celeste Lacy Davis, Brooklyn, NY
- Catherine Ross and Danny Boston, Atlanta, Georgia
- Peter & Eileen Norton, Santa Monica, CA
- Colorado Collection, Dept. Fine Arts, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder
- Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, Georgia
- David Teplitzky & Peggy Scott, Evergreen, Colorado
- Spencer Throckmorton, NY, NY
- Tina Spiro, Stony Hill, Jamaica
- Charles & Kristin Foresman, Boulder, Colorado
- Jan Barr, Tacoma, Washington
- John Valentino, Buffalo, NY
- Ken Iwamasa, Boulder, CO
- Whitney Houston, Atlanta, GA
- Boris Penth, Hambourg, Germany
- Best, Best & Krieger, San Diego, CA
- Kimberly Strelov, NYC
- Rick Griffith, Boulder, CO
- Bernard Williams, Chicago, IL
- Arthur & Jay Richardson, Washington, DC
- David Kaplan, Denver, Colorado
- Artist of Color Collection, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Kathryn Wenderski, Colorado Springs, CO
- Dellroy & Nashormeh Lindo, Oakland, CA
- Dr. David Boxer,Kingston, Jamaica, W.I.
- Drina & Randall Krimm, San Diego, CA
- Quincy & Margaret Troupe, La Jolla, California
- Charles Powell, Oceanside, California
- Terry McMillan, Danville, California
- Kip Fullbeck, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Ron & Cynthia Thompson, St Louis, Missouri
- Shabaka Barry Henley, Venice, California
- Pasquale Verdicchio, San Diego, California
- Bonnie Dell, N.Y. , N.Y.
- Willa Burns,Oceanside,Southern California
- Bibliotèque Nationale, Paris, France
- Leah and Arthur Ollman, San Diego, CA
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, MD
- Margie Waller, San Diego, CA
- Verity Lambert, London, England
- Virginia Charteris, Yorkshire, England
- Silas Rhodes, New York,NY
- Itzik Kasovitz, New York,NY
- Alain Giguere, New York,NY
- Carlton Ingleton, Brooklyn, NY
- Cora Wright Kennedy, New York,NY
- Roslyn Reed, Detroit, MI
- J.W. Sherwood, Mobile, AL
- Alva and Barbara Constantine, Laurel, DE
- Nancy Yates, New York, NY
- Merton Simpson, New York,NY
- John Bennette, New York, NY
- Paul Chevaness, Brooklyn,NY
- Palli and Mike Holubar, Oberlin, OH
- Italo Scanga, San Diego, CA
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, NYC
- Allen Memorial Art Museum, Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
- Erie Art Museum, Erie, PA - The Center for Photography at Woodstock, Woodstock, NY
- Museum Of The National Center Of Afro-American Artists Inc. Boston, MA - Rhode Island School of Design Museum of Art
- William Benton Museum of Art, University of CT. Storrs, CT
- Tampa Museum of Art, Tampa, Fla.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas
2011 - Jamaican Art: Then and Now with text by Petrine Archer Straw & Kim Robinson, Kingston
Publishers Limited, 2011
Tallawah Magazine:Jamaican Culture, Culture Picks, What’s on the Tallawah Culture Radar This
week, Sunday September 11, 2011
- New Books, Zaidie Smith, Reviews, Harpers Magazine, September 2011
- High Marks at CU, Faculty Art on Display on Campus by Kristin Le Grice. Day & Night
Arts & Entertainment, Longmont Times-Call, Feb. 11th , 2011
2010 - Dodge & Burn, Albert Chong,
2009 - The Photograph as a Receptacle of Memory by Albert Chong, Small Axe, A
Caribbean Journal of Criticism, SX 29, July 2009
- Through The Lens: Photography from the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
published on the occasion of the exhibition.
- The Art of Caring: A Look at Life Through Photography with essay by Cynthia
Goodman, catalogue for the exhibition published by Ruder Finn Press.
2008 - Critical Dialogue: Signifying “Asian”and Afro Cultural Poetics:A Conversation with
Willian luis. Albert Chong, Karen Tei Yamashita and Alejandro Campos Garcia by
Lisa Yun, Binghamton University. SUNY, published by the Afro Hispanic Review,
Vol. 27, Number 1, Spring 2008, Vanderbilt University
2007 - Crossing The Line: African American Artists in the Jacqueline Bradley &
Clarence Otis, Jr. Collection, Cornell Fine Arts Museum, Rollins College, Winter
Park, Florida, January 19th –May 20th , 2007 (Exhibition Catalogue)
No Date - Emphasis: From the Body Photographic to the photographed body (Variations of a
discourse regarding spirituality in contemporary photography by Juan Antonio Molina,
Zone Zero Magazine
- Blacks In And Out Of The Box:Published by the California African American Museum,
Los Angeles 2007 (Exhibition Catalogue)
- Equatorial Rhythms, published by The Stenersen Museum-Du store verden!-the DSV
network (Exhibition Catalogue)
2006 - Albert Chong: Giving Back to Inner City Youth by Barbara Ellington, Flair, Magazine cover story,
Monday July 31,2006, Daily Gleaner, Jamaica
2005 - The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography Edited by
Steve Crist, essay by Barbara Hitchcock, published by Taschen
- Fotographia Jamaicana en la Diaspora :Albert Chong & Paul Stoppi by Irina Leyva
Perez, Extra Camara: Revista De Fotografia, 1/2004
2004 - Albert Chong: 20 Photographs catalogue for exhibition at Zemicon Gallery, Bridgetown, Barbados
Foreword by Alissandra Cummins, B.A. (Hons.), M.A., F.M.A (Chairperson of the National Gallery,
Committee, Introduction by Therese Hadchity,
- Homecoming Again: Albert Chong In The Caribbean by Veerle Poupeye, National Gallery of Jamaica,
Kingston Jamaica, July 2004
- Nailing Memory By Barbaro Martinez-Ruiz, Assistant Professor of Art History, Stanford, University,
Palo Alto, California
- Albert Chong: Magic and Memory by Harclyde Walcott, University Of the West Indies,
- Chong Showcases 20 years of contemporary art by Jenique Millington, The Barbados Advocate,
Wednesday August 11, 2004
- Caribbean Chong displays his Art (no writer credited) Centerpiece, Daily Nation, Thursday Aug 12th,
2004 (Barbados Daily Newspaper)
- Assembling Identity: Photographer Albert Chong’s Inclusion of different art makes for interesting exhibit
at Zemicon Gallery, by Lilian Sten. AICA, Sunday Aug 8th, 2004, (Barbados Daily)
- Eden, Ohio by Shawne Johnson, reviewed by Khalil Abdullah for Fictions/Review sections of Black
Issues Book Review Magazine, Mar-April 2004 (Full Page Reproduction of Aunt Winnie 1995)
- Critics Pick by Elisa Turner, Miami Herald Jan. 2nd 2004 (Review of Projections at Chelsea Galleria)
- Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of The American Self, Edited by Coco Fusco and Brian Wallis,
International Center of Photography published by Harry N. Abrams Inc.
2003 - State of The Arts by Tina Spiro from the Island Hop section of Air Jamaica’s in flight
magazine ‘Skywritings” (Nov-Dec 2003)
- Mapas Abiertos 1991-2002, Fotographia Latino Americana, by Alejandro Castellote, Rebens
Fernandes Junior, Juan Antonio Molina, Ivan de la Nuez
- ‘Responsibility’ Fails To Live Up To Title by Michael O’ Sullivan, Washington Post, August 1,
2003 (review of Public Responsibility at Art Museum of the Americas, Washington, DC
- Fresh Talk/Daring Gazes: Conversations on Asian American Art, edited by Elaine H. Kim,
Margo Machida, Sharon Mizota, published by University of California Press
- CU faculty Art Show reveals strengths by Kyle MacMillan, Art, Denver Post, Sept. 26, 2003
- ‘Incantations’ reflect artist’s multicultural background by Marcia Manna, Community Arts
& Leisure, The San Diego Union Tribune (North County, Sunday Feb. 2, 2003
2002 - Different: Contemporary Photographers & Black Identity by Stuart Hall & Mark Sealy published
- Mundos Creados: Latin-Amerikaanse Fotografie, Exhibition Catalog by Noorderlicht,
- A celebration of Jamaica: Proud people maintain cultural identity through vibrant art. By
Robin Caudell, Press Republican, Vermont, Oct.3-10, 2002
- Absolut Expressions Salutes Albert Chong, Savoy Magazine, June/July2002,
- Blink: 100 Photographers, 010 Curators, 010 Writers published by Phaidon Press.
- A Creative Legacy: A History of The National Endowment for The Arts Visual Artists’
Fellowship Program published by Harry N. Abrams Inc.in Association with The National
Endowment for The Arts.
- Absolut Expressions: A Celebration of 14 African American Artists inspired by Absolut,
Savoy Magazine, Feb.2002, (Issue #1) first issue
2001 - Tuesdays With...Albert Chong interview by Cara Hopkins, Colorado Daily,
Tuesady Jan. 29th. 2002
- The Arts: Dig Deeper at CU Faculty Show by Cara Hopkins, Coloraado Daily, Tuesday
- Nueva Luz, 25th Anniversary Issue, Jan. 2002
- Sweet Dreams: The 7th Havana Biennial by Grady T. Turner, Art In America, Oct. 2001,
Pg. 72 & 74
- La Biennale di Venezia 49.Esposizone Internazionale D’Arte, Plateau of Humankind,
(Venice Biennial Catalog) June -Nov. 2001
- Robert Gober’s “Virgin” Installation: Issues of Spirituality in Contemporary American Art by
Erika Doss from the book The Visual Culture of American Religions edited by David
Morgan & Sally M. Promey , University of California Press
- Outside artists face censorship when exhibiting works in Cuba By Elisa Turner, Sunday,
January 28, 2001, Miami Herald
- Island Universe by Edith Newhall, New York Magazine, Jan.29,2001
- Albert Chong by Jeffrey Hoone & Irwin Gershow NY ARTS, Jan 2001
- Photography In New York International, Jan/Feb 2001 (cover image)
- About The Cover by Jean Dykstra
2000 - Happily Ever After: Photographer Albert Chong’s complex story tellingmakes for an
enthralling experience by Carl Mellor, Art Syracuse New Times, Feb 9-16, 2000
- American Perspectives: Photographs from the Polaroid Collection, 2000 catalogue for the
exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Photography, Tokyo, Japan, 2000
- Photos piece together artist’s island heritage, by Elisa Turner, Galleries Review, The Miami
Herald, Sunday Oct. 15, 2000
- After Representation by Horace Brockington, The International Review of African American
Art, Volume 16 Number 4 , 2000
- Imaging African Art: Documentation & Transformation by Daniell Cornell and Cheryl Finley,
catalogue for exhibition
- Reflections in Black: A History of Black Photographers: 1840 to the present, by Deborah
Willis Kennedy, published by W.W. Norton 2000
- Chong’s Images influenced by his Jamaican heritage, by Dirk Martin, Arts & Science, A
Special insert of the Carillon (March 17, 2000)
- Black And White Photography, Manifest Visions/ An International Collection by James
Luciana, Quarry Books an Imprint of Rockport Publishers, Inc. Gloucester, Massachusetts
- Artist's imagination takes flight By CJ HINES Courier Assistant Lifestyles Editor, Waterloo
Courier, Thursday, February 17, 2000 -Albert Chong : Across The Void, Contact Sheet 105,
published by Light Work, Syracuse, NY
- Poignant Artifacts put Accent on Ancestors by Jerry Cullum, Weekend Review, Visual Arts,
The Atlanta Journal Constitution,
- St. James Guide To Black Artists, St. James Press, Detroit, Michigan
- Collecting African American Art, Work On Paper & Canvas By Halima Taha , published by
Crown Publishers Inc. New York
1999 - Albert Chong: Selected Works by Michael Paglia, Art, Westword, Feb. 18- 24, 1999
- Prize Photos: Albert Chong’s Gallery Exhibit offers some disturbing images by Glenn Giffin,
The Weekend Scene, The Denver Post, Fri. Jan. 22, 1999
- The Famalial Gaze, Edited by Marianne Hirsch, published by University Press of New England,
- XXIV Bienal de Sao Paulo, Representacoes Nacionais, Fundacao Bienal de Sao Paulo, 1998
- Caribbean Art by Verle Poupeye, published by Thames & Hudson for The World of Art Series
1998 - University Press of New England, Fall 1998, Cover of the Fall Catalogue
- Modern Jamaican Art, by David Boxer and Veerle Poupeye, published by Ian Randle
Publishers on Behalf of The University of the west Indies Development and endowment Fund
- Personal Effects By Michael Read, Camerawork Spring/Summer 1997
- Black Art and Culture in the 20th Century by Richard J. Powell published by Thames & Hudson
1997 - Art on Stage: What would theater and dance be like if visual artists were in charge of their
production? The Brooklyn Academy of Music decided to find out. by Janet Koplos,
Art In America , Sept. 1997
- Shifting Allegiances, Immigrant Artists explore the letting go of cultural roots by Jerry Cullum,
The Atlanta Journal /The Atlanta Constitution, Fri. March 14,1997. (reproduced Throne For The
Justice) B Bibliography
- Artist In Action: finding a new frame for performance, The Next Wave Magazine 1996,
Brooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn, NY
- Merry Christmas, Baby. A Christmas & kwanzaa Treasury by Paula L. Woods & Felix H. Liddel,
Published by Harper Collins
1996 - Caribbean Visions, American Way, American Airlines Magazine, 12/1/96
- FotoFest, Houston The Sixth International Festival Of Photography, Albert Chong, Ancestral
Dialogues, Essay by Carla Stellweg
- Albert Chong, Throckmorton Fine Art, The New York Times, Fri. 6/28/96
- Encyclopedia Of African American Art & Culture, Simon & Schuster, MacMillan 1996, NY
- Moonrabbit Review, Asian Pacific American Voices, Vol. 1, Number 2
- Caribbean Winds, NOMA Exhibit Sweeps Away Cliches About Art From The Islands’ Lagniappe,
- Entertainment Guide, The Times Picayune, Jan 26, 1996
- Warm Your Soul by Linda Luise Brown, Creative Loafing, Feb. 3/96
- Picture Window, 3 Photo exhibits shed light on the relationship between artist & audience, by
Lawrence Toppman, Arts & Entertainment The Charlotte Observer, Sun. Feb. 4/96
- Albert Chong, The Contact Sheet 87,published by LightWork, Syracuse, NY
- Africa 95, Events Catalogue, page 14-15 (image-The Sisters)
- DUBVISIONS, New World Imagery runs from Sept. 23-Nov 12 at Arnolfini, Bristol, 6 Venues, 15-29 9/96
- New World Imagery At London's Royal Festival Hall, Stepping Out, Caribbean Times Week
Ending Sat. Jan. 13, 1996(image-The Sisters)
1995 - Exhibitions, Amateur Photographer, 21/10/95(image-Throne For The Justice)
- La feria de Arte y sus entormos por Ricardo Pau-Llosa, Exito, 17 de enero de 1996
- El Caribe de algunos en el CFA: Caribbean Visions By Ricardo Pau-Llosa, Exito! 27 de
Septiembre de 1995(Object Reproduced - the Cowrie Rocker w/ vest & Codfish Book, 1994
- The Figure from 12 Earnest Viewpoints, by Vivien Raynor, Sunday New York Times
(Westchester version) July 13, 1995
- Bodies of work in foto show, 12 artist narratives, New York Daily News, July 28,1995
- Traces: The Body In Contemporary Photography, The Short List, The Village Voice, Aug.29, 1995
- Eclectic Group New to the Limelight by Holland Cotter, New York Times, Aug. 11/95
- Points Of Entry; Tracing Cultures, 1 of 3 exhibition catalogue for three part exhibition. Tracing
Cultures first published by the Friends of Photography for 3 part exhibition by Museum Of
Photographic Art, San Diego, and The Center For Creative Photography, Tuscon and The Friends Of Photography, San francisco
- New World Imagery: Contemporary Jamaican art, Exhibition Catalogue published by National
Touring Exhibitions, curated Petrine Archer Straw, Exhibition organised by Roger Malbert assisted by Julia Risness
- Caribbean Visions: Contemporary Painting & Sculpture, 9/95 Exhibition Catalogue Published by Arts Services International, curated by Samella Lewis
- Body Language, Museums, New York, Vol. 2 ,#1, Summer 1995. (Traces:The Body In
Contemporary Photography at the Bronx Museum)(Winged Desire,Image used)
- A Common Canvas by Tricia Paik, A. Magazine(Inside Asian America, Arts) (Image used - Story about my Father/Aunt Winnies Story
- Multicultural Show Enticing by Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Wed. Mar 15/1995
- Crossing Borders by Frank Green, The Cleveland Free Times, April 5, 1995 (Image used Blessing w/cigar smoke The Throne For Gorilla spirits)
- Still/Life 'The Body As Object In Contemporary Photography' by Charles Hagen Weekend,
The New York Times, Fri. April 7,1995
- Still/Life, The Body as Object in Contemporary Photography by Joseph R. Wolin, Creative Camera, Feb/March1995,page 14 & 15
- Coda Page, The Sisters 1986 with text from The Past is a Foreign Country by David Lowenthal
(New York:Cambridge University Press, 1985) Museum News, March/April 95
- Photographs by Albert Chong, Review: Latin American Literature & Arts, Spring 1995
- Fire Without Gold: Works by Photographers of Color, 1994 , Photography Quarterly, Center for
Photography at Woodstock
- Who's Who in American Art, 21st. Edition, 1995, Reed Reference Publishing, New Providence, NJ
- U.S. Contingent in Havana By Betty Klausner, Art In America, 10/94
- Visual Literacy By A.D. Coleman(Review of Ancestral Dialogues) Photography In New York,
A Guide Sept/Oct 1994
- Artists Explore American Family In Smithsonian Exhibit, By Elisa Lee. Asian Week, Sept 2,
- Photobiographers By Deborah Willis, The International Review of African American Art
- Thrones For Ancestors : The Albert Chong Photo Exhibit by Mary Motian-Meadows, Colorado
- The Cowrie Necklace , image used for the cover of Toni Morrison's novel The Bluest Eyes,
reprinted by Griot Editions
- Albert Chong - Blending Art & Spirituality By Mary Jean Porter, Lifestyles, The Sunday Pueblo
Chieftain, Sun, April 10,94
- Mystical Images , Albert Chong Blends reality,dreams & Cultural Visions for his arresting &
compelling Photographs, By Mary Voelz Chandler , Spotlight , Rocky Mountain News, April 28,1994
- Asian Week, Albert Chong Conducts Ancestral Dialogues, 2/4/94
- Inside Colorado,a supplement to the Colorado Alumnus,PI, April 94
- Art from political to personal, Exhibits canvass the artistic spectrum, by Mary Voelz
Chandler, Spotlight, Sun. April 3 /94, Rocky Mountain News. (Image used - The Red Altar) - Acclaimed CU-Boulder photography professor Albert Chong to sign copies of his famous poster
The Sisters by Robert Jackson, Rocky Mountain News, 3/9/94
- Chong uses art to Explore his African & Asian Heritage by Steven Rosen, The Sunday Denver
Post, Sun, Mar. 27,94
- Poster for the Artist of Color Collection, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Photograph used for the Cover of the Book titled Life Notes: Personal Writings By Contemporary
Black Women, Edited with an intro by Patricia Bell - Scott
- UCSD Perspectives, Vol 6 Number 2, Winter 1993-94, Alumni News : More Than A Thousand
Words by Dirk Sutro
- Capturing the Spirit World on Film: Albert Chong's Artistic recipe blends Jamaica, Catholicism,
Santeria and America in an eclectic stew. by Leah Ollman,, Los Angeles Times/Calender,
Sunday, Oct. 10, 93
1993 - Chong's thrones honor Family, history, root's, by Robert Pincus, The Arts, The San Diego
Union- Tribune, Sun. Oct. 3,1993
- Like offerings in the houses of the Gods: Albert Chong's Photographs Eulogize his ancestry
by Lisa Marquart, The Daily Aztec, San Diego State University, Fri. Oct. 1993
- American Visions, A Magazine of African American Art & Culture, 9/93
- Chinese American Artists Find Commonality In 'Ancestral Spirits' Works by Lee, Fulbeck and
Chong Showing until April 23, by Dena Hawes, Asian Week 4/16/93
- River Styx, # 37(1993)Front & Back Cover(Stealing Eggs/Throne For Ogun
1992 - UCB'S Albert Chong Receives $20,000 NEA Fellowship, Silver & Gold Record 12/10/92
- Artist Draws On His Heritage, By Niki Hayden, Daily Camera, Friday Magazine, Oct. 30/92
- Laughing at Death, Rocky Mountain News by Lorenzo Chavez,
- LIFESTYLES, Oct. 28, 1992 (Image used : Sunday Dinner for Ancestors)
1991 - New York, November 1991 by Gabriel Bauret, PHOTOGRAPHIES Magazine Numero 38,
Janvier- Fe'vrier 1992, Image used The Two Sisters
- Documenting The Evidence: Afro-American Photography by Susan Y. Dyer Women's Art
Magazine, Sept/Oct. 1991
- Men's Look at Men Has Blind Spot By Susan Freudenheim, Los Angeles Times, San Diego
Edition,Mar. 3, 1992
- Letter From New York, NO. 29 by A.D. Coleman, Photo Metro
"From Men Only" by Robert L. Pincus, Night & Day, San Diego Union Tribune 2/20/92
- "The Naked Truth" by Jonathan Saville,The third of 3 part reviews of the Persona Show ,
San Diego's Weekly Reader , 3/19/92
- "Remains" Artists look at death in surprisingly positive show by Sue Keller, La Jolla Light, March
19, 1992. Picture used Untitled Throne W/Monkey Skull & Eggs Shells
- "Chong's Works Highlight Exhibit "by Robert L. Pincus, The San Diego Union, January 16,
1992, Picture used The Sisters , 1986
- At The Galleries, Images and Objects at Porter Randall Gallery, by Victoria Reed,
Image used The Two Sisters, Calendar Section, Los Angeles Times, 1/22/92
- Treats-both visual and aromatic by Kinney Littlefield, San Pedro Press- Telegram, Sunday,
- MoMA MEMBERS QUARTERLY(The Members Quarterly of The Museum of Modern Art,
No 9,Fall 1991, page16 (The Two Sisters) Pleasures and Terrors of Domestic Comfort,
Peter Galassi, Museum of Modern Art, NYC
- ARTSPIRAL(Bi-annual Publication of Asian American Arts Center Winter 1991 Is There An
Asian American Aesthetics ? page 10, picture used The Chair, 1986
- 'Interrogating Identity' The view from outside. Christine Temin, Boston Globe, Aug. 13, 1991.
- The Art of Questioning Identity (MFA show lets artists define otherness), Christine Temin,
The Boston Sunday Globe, Aug. 4, 1991.
- "Interrogating Identity," Exhibition catalog, Grey Art Gallery & Study Center, New York
- "Exhibit, an exploration of African-American journeys," Joanne Silver, Boston Herald, 12/28/1990.
- "How Racial and Cultural Differences Affect Art," Charles Hagen, New York Times, 8/23/1991
- "Aesthetic intellect, pulsing emotion blend in Convergence' Kelly Wise,The Boston Globe 1/25/91
- "1990 a year of promises" Leah Ollman, Los Angeles Times, Jan 1, 1991
- "Art Exhibits Offer Insight Into Artist's Family Heritage" Chris Plotz.
- "Strong Impact Provided by Installations," Leah Ollman, Los Angeles Times, February 27, 1991.
- Exposure, Vol. 27, no. 4, A Publication of the Society For Photographic Education, Kellie Jones
- ZYZZYVA, SPRING 1991, Vol. vii, no. 1.
1990 - Mixed Blessing: New Art in a Multicultural America, By Lucy Lippard, Pantheon Books
- "Sacred Meets Profane Via 'Sacrifice'" Leah Ollman, Los Angeles Times, October 4, 1990.
- "Through a Lens Darkly" Roger Anderson Express, Aug. 10/90
- "Artist's Work reflects black Life" Joanne Milani, The Tampa Tribune, February 12, 1990.
- "Outsiders Elude 1 Show, Find Haven in Other," Leah Ollman, Los Angeles Times, 3/23/90
1989 - An Illustrated Bio-Bibliography of Black Photographers, 1940-1988, Deborah Willis Thomas
Garland Press. NY, 1987
- "Rise of A New Black Culture, Cult-Nats Meet Freaky-Deke," Greg Tate, Village Voice Literary
Supplement, Dec. 1991
- "Sisters," "Stealing Eggs," "Malcolm," "Staff of Life," "Self Portrait with Eggs," (illustrations) B
Culture, Vol. II, No. 2, NY, NY
- Lehman Shows Products Of Bronx Alternative Spaces by Vivien Raynor, New York Times,
Sunday May 10, 1987
- "The Mind's I, Part 4," Russell Leong (catalogue essay), Asian Art Institute, New York, NY.
- "Large as Life Contemporary Photography," Kellie Jones (brochure), Jamaica Arts Center,
1986 - "Seeing is Believing," O'Reilly, Village Voice, Jan. 14
1985 - "Seeing is Believing," Allen Ludwig (catalogue essay), Alternative Museum, New York, NY.
1984 - "Caribbean Influence," The Phoenix, Brooklyn, NY
- "Contemporary Afro American Photographers," William Olander (catalogue essay),Allen Art
Museum, Oberlin College, Oberlin,OH
- "Contemporary Afro American Photographers,"Allen G Thomas, New Art Examiner, November.
- "Contemporary Afro American Photographers," Steven Cagan, Dialogue, 7 No. 1, February.
- "Contemporary Afro American Photographers," By Clarence Madison, Oberlin Review,
Oberlin, OH, vol. 112October 7. 1983
- "14 Photographers," Deborah Willis-Thomas (catalogue essay), Schomburg Center for
Research in Black Culture, New York, NY.
- Images From Imagination By Akinshiju C. Ola The Guardian, Dec.7, 1983
- "Symbolic Vision in Pictures," Hilda Bujur, Westsider, New York, NY, Dec.22/83
- "26 Photographers, An exhibition of work by the '82-83 C.A.P.S.
Photography Fellowship Recipients," Kathleen Kenyon (catalogue essay), Catskill Ctr. For
Photography, Woodstock, NY
1982 - "Jazzonia Displays Photos...," Marsha Miro, Detroit Free Press, Detroit, MI, September.
- "Albert Chong's New Color Photographs," Nancy Princethal (essay), Just Above Midtown/Downtown, NYC
- "People of Color," James Andrew Brown, Artery, February
Ancestral Dialogues: The Photographs of Albert Chong published by the Friends of
Photography 1993, essays by Quincy Troupe & Thelma Golden, edited by Michael Read.
Radio & Television Cable One Television, London (Interview for New World Imagery, 1/19/96)
- NY1 TV (interview for Black Fathers & Sons) Nov. 1996
- WDNA Radio Miami, Interview for Projections at Chelsea Galleria (Dec. 2003)
- Radio Interview on Cayman Radio for Rousings: Contemporary Jamaican art. Jan. 2004
- Good Morning Barbados: Interview on Barbados morning Television program Aug. 2004
- Untitled Art Show - Episode 130, Radio Interview, Denver, Colorado
- Television Interview on Smile Jamaica,September 15, 2011
Theatre & Dance
(contributor to Strange Fruit and Other Secrets a dance work by Paz Tanquaquio presented at Merce Cunnigham Studio, NYC. (construction of Throne For Gorilla Spirits during performance) June 17-19, 1999
Portfolio Reviews - Photographers of Salina, Kansas
- Photographers and photo artists of San Jose, hosted by MACLA, 4/03, San Jose, CA
- Members Workshop, Friends of Photography, 1993
Teen Workshop - Archiving Family Pictures and Creating Digtal slide shows, 4/03
San Jose Museum of Art Teen Program directed by Diana Sanchez
- Using Polaroid Instant Film Photography Workshop, San Jose Museum Teen Program directed by Diana Sanchez
- Click Digital Photography Youth Workshop, University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica, June 9th - August 12th 2006
Artists Workshop - Photography workshop with the artists of Barbados hosted and directed
By Therese Hadchity of Zemicon gallery and Harclyde Walcott
Barbados, West Indies Aug.2004
Visiting Artist & Speaker
2011- Public Lecture at Mutual Gallery, Kingston, Jamaica, Sept.22,2011
2010 – Visiting Artist, Penn State University
2009 - Visiting Artist, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
2008 - Visting Artist & Public Lecture at the University of Rhode Island, Rhode Island, USA
2006 - Public Lecture at the Stanford University Museum.
2005 - Visiting Artist & Public Lecture at The University of California, Santa Barbara,
California, USA, (April 11-15th 2005) Sponsored jointly by the Art & Music Department
2004 - Public Lecture at the University of the West Indies, Barbados, West Indies.
- Public Lecture for the Toledo Friends of Photography at Toldeo Museum of Art, Toldeo, Ohio, USA (Jan. 23rd, 2004)
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
2003 - Public Lecture at California State University, Monterey Bay, CA, USA 4/23/03
2002 - Public Lecture at Columbia College, Chicago, ILL, USA
2001 - Public Lecture Massachusetts College Of Art, (MassArt) Boston, Mass. USA
1999 - The Lamar Dodd School of the Arts at the University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia,
- Art Department at University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth
- University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, CO
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Mass.
- University of South Florida at Tampa, Florida
1998 - Public Lecture at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
1997 - Public Lecture Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
1996 - Public Lecture Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
- Art Institute of Boston Visiting Artists Program Dupont Lectureship ( Feb. 1/96)
1995 - Public Lecture for Visiting Artist Program of San Francisco State University
- Public Lecture for the Stanford Studio Series, Visiting Artist Program
Tele Conference Presentations -
2003 - Fiber Linked video conversation with Prof. Senga Neguidi Fitz’s class at
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs from CU Boulder. 5/2/03
2005 - Fiber Linked video conversation with Prof. Senga Neguidi Fitz’s class at
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs from CU Boulder. 5/2/03
2010 - Achronology, From the Past to the Present, Works in Photography,
Installation and other Media, A Public Lecture at Palmer Museum Auditorium
at Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA (10/19/2010)
2009 - Public Lecture on my work for the New Orleans Museum of Art, May 16th
2003 - San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, California 4/13/03
- A Decade of Photographs, and Installations a lecture for The Photo Alliance at San Francisco Art Institute on 4/21/03
- Artist Talk at California College of Arts and Crafts, Oakland, CA 4/18/03
2002 - Keynote Address for Society for Photographic Education Regional Conference, Arizona State
University, Tempe, Arizona
- Salina Art Center, Salina Kansas
- Columbia College, Chicago, ILL
2001 - Massaschusetts College of Art,( Mass Art)
- Depauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
2000 - Public Lecture at Hawkeye Community College, Waterloo, Iowa
- Public Lecture at University of Northern Iowa, in the Kamerick Art Building, 2/16/2000
1999 - Public Lecture at The Georgia Museum of Art for The Lamar Dodd School of the Arts at the
University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- Public Lecture for Art Department at University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth
- Public Lecture for University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, CO
- Public Lecture for The School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Mass.
- “Quest for the Divine: Intuition, Invention, Fabrication, the Intersection of Art & Culture,
Public Lecture for Colloquium titled Beauty & It’s Discontents at University at Colorado at
Boulder, (March 5, 1999)
- Public Lecture for University of South Florida at Tampa, Florida
1998 - ‘Works from the Last Ten Years’, public lecture at the William Benton Museum of Art at The
University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
1997 - Paper Written and delivered to the Fifth Conference on the Chinese American Experience,
New York University
- Public Lecture, Princeton University
- Public Lecture for the National Graduate Student Seminiar, New York University, June 8th, 1997
- Public Lecture, Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
1996 - Public Lecture, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, April, 19th , 1996
- Ancestral Dialogues, Art Institute of Boston Visiting Artists Program Dupont Lectureship ( Feb 1/96)
- Ancestral Dialogues, Sponsored by Iniva & Autograph, London, England, 1/19/96
1995 - Public Lecture, Visiting Artist Program of San Francisco State University, SF, CA, USA
- Ancestral Dialogues, Public Lecture at Stanford University for the Stanford Studio Series,
Visiting Artist Program
- Ancestral Dialogues, SPE, Atlanta, Georgia
- Ancestral Dialogues: Talk for Prof. Tom Drysdale's Class, New York University,
Tisch School of the Arts, NY
- The Ancestral Dialogues, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- The Yuma Symposium, Yuma, Arizona
1994 - Gallery of Contemporary Art, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Arapahoe Community College, Colorado
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, 3/30/94
- Ancestral Dialogues' Lecture in conjunction with exhibition & Book Launch
at The Ansel Adams Center for Photography, San Francisco, CA. 1/18/84
1993 - Closing Speaker for The Society for Photographic Education (SPE) at SF Camera Work,
San Francisco, CA. Nov. 13/93
- "Expanding the Boundaries of Spirituality & Belief", Rockland Community College,
Suffern, NY, 2/6/93
1992 - Gateway High School School, Aurora, CO, 4/7/92
- Dialogue With The Ancestors, Mar. 18, 1992, The Museum of Natural History Auditorium,
San Diego, CA
1991 - Lecture for the Homecoming Show, United States Information Service, Mutual Life Building,
Kingston, Jamaica, West Indies
1990 - Visiting Artists Lecture Series, California Arts Institute, Valencia, California, February 13
1982 - Visiting Artist Program, William Patterson College,Wayne, New Jersey
Artist Lecture Series, Paterson High Schools, Paterson, NJ, Mar.
2010 - Shutter Shift: Panel Discussion an event of Denver Arts Week at Walker Fine Arts, Denver,
- Panel discussion on the slide lecture Achronology: From the Present to the Past, Works in
Photography, Installations and Various Media by Alber Chong, Pennsylvania State University,
State College, PA (10/19/2010)
2007 - Panelist for Massachusetts Cultural Council panel on photography
- Juror for Open Studios, Boulder , Colorado
2000 - Panelist for Illinois Arts Council panel for photography artist fellowsship Committee member
for Spring 2000 review committee for Beverly Sears Graduate Student Grants program,
University of Colorado at Boulder
1999 - A Brief Introduction to my Art. International Society for the Study of Chinese Overseas
(ISSCO) Conference in Havana, Cuba
- Envisioning The Artist Role in the New Century, A round table discussion with Albert Chong &
Local Artists, Hammonds House Galleries, Atlanta, GA
1998 - Panelist for Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation,Baltimore Maryland funding artist fellowships in photography
for Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania
1998 - Panelist for panel discussion on racial stereotypes, Dept. of Fine Arts University of Colorado
1997 - Panelist for Arts International Artists at Giverney Program, NYC
1996 - Panelist for MN/McKnight Photography Fellowship Program, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Representing Ethnicity, paper presented at New School for Social Research as part of a
panel Mar. 6/96 Panelist (Art Speigleman, Margo Jefferson, Todd Gitlin,
1994 - Panelist for Visual Artists Organization NEA Grants, National Endowment for The Arts,
Nancy Hanks Center, Washington, D.C.
- Panelist for Arts International (Artist Travel Grants), NY, NY
1993 - Juror, Arizona Arts Commission, State Artist Fellowships in Photography, Film, Video
- Inside The Black Experience" Symposium W/ Todd Gray, Sulaim Ellison, Martin Dixon,
Moderator George Welch at Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, Arizonia. 2/21/93
- Who's Your Audience ? Panel Discussion with Wanda Hammerbeck, Jim Stone, Morrie
Camhi, Peter Stackpole, Barbara DeGenevieve, Moderator Andy Grundberg at Friends o
f Photography Members Workshop, Pebble Beach, CA.
1990 - The Decade Show, Mid-America College Art Association Conference, Borders & Bridges,
University of Arizona,Tucson, AZ
1987 - Juror, Photographers' Fund, Catskill Center of Photography, Woodstock, NY.
1984 - Confronting Realities, Artists Speak On Identity in conflict /Transition, Asian Arts Institute, NYC
- New York State Council on the Arts, Special Arts Project, New York, NY.
1984-88 - Consultant, New York State Council on the Arts, New York, NY.
2004 - Juror for Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Denver, Colorado
2003 - Juror for 2003 Toledo Friends of Photography Juried Exhibition, Toledo, Ohio, USA
2011 - Juror for the Congressional Art Show, Rocky Mountain College of Art, Denver, CO
Gallery Representation: William Havu Gallery, Denver, Colorado
Official Web Site: albertchong.com