This I Believe Analysis
- What is the topic of the essay?
- What does this person believe? What do they use to show that belief?
- How do they state the belief? Where do they state it?
- What broader theme do you think this essay would fall under? (family, challenges, humility, love, etc.)
- How is their essay structured or organized? Can you identify a clear beginning, middle, and end? If not, does the essay still work? Why?
- How does the essay begin (what type of lead is used)?
- Do they play with time in any way (flashback, reorganizing, etc.?)
- Describe the author’s voice. Are they humorous, sentimental, angry, hopeful, etc.
- How does this voice come out in their essay?
- Does the author use snapshots (sensory details) or thoughtshots (what they are thinking or feeling at the time)? Cite an example of each.
Other characteristics: (dialogue, metaphors, similes, personification, alliteration, varied sentence structure, use of sentence fragments, parallel structure, repetition, etc.)