Name _________________________________ Period _____ Date ________________
Europe Economic Geography Notes
1. Europe has many different types of natural resources:
A. The Northern European Plain has fertile soil called _______________________ . This land is good for ____________________ .
B. The ___________ and ___________ Valleys have deposits of _______________ and _______________ .
C. Some parts of Europe have forests such as __________________ and ___________ .
D. There are large deposits of oil on the ______________________________________
E. Mountainous areas have ________________________________________________
2. The _______________ Valley is a region on the border of __________________ and _________________ . The _________ Valley is located in _____________________ . These areas are rich in ___________ and ________________ . These areas also have high concentrations of industry because ______________________________________
3. Mountainous areas such as _________________ and __________________ rely on _____________________ , ________________________ , and ______________ resources for their economy.
4. Switzerland also relies on ______________________________________________
5. The countries of Europe have advanced _____________________________ , _____________________________ , and fertile soil called _____________________ .
6. Crop yield means how much food can be grown per square mile or hectare. Crop yields are higher in Europe because:
7. The ________________________ and ____________________ are called the _____________________________ because they are low in ______________________ . These countries are small and do not have a lot of land for farming. In these countries the people have made ________________________________________________________ . Polders are _____________________________________________________________ .
8. All of the countries in Europe are considered ___________________ .
9. Demographics of developed countries:
10. The countries in Europe have well developed infrastructures. Some examples are:
11. There are three major types of economic systems.
A. Free market economy (operates on the idea of ____________ and _____________ and _________________________ ownership.)
B. Mixed economy (government owns _____________________________________ )
C. Command economy (government owns all ________________________________ )
12. After WWII ended in 1945, the Soviet Union controlled much of _______________
__________________ and forced the countries to be communist and have a ______________________________ . In 1990, these countries regained independence.
13. Eastern Europe is not as well developed as Western Europe because it was ________________________________ . The factories are ______________ and heavy industry in these areas has caused ____________________________ .
14. Denmark and Sweden have _____________________________ .
15. The European Union is the dominant _________________ union in ____________ . The European Union has introduced a single currency called the __________ in order to promote and facilitate ______________ .
16. Several areas in Europe are facing severe pollution problems: