- 20+ years experience with multiple languages, frameworks and stacks
- 4+ years working with extremely large scale high profile web properties.
- Self motivated, driving project development and code maintainability and reusability.
- Approaches problems from a low level technical level as well as high level, long term business strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. More focused on product quality than ego.
- Extremely adept in a posix CLI environment. 20+ years of admin experience.
OS: Linux(Debian, Redhat, Ubuntu, CentOS), Unix (Solaris, OSX)
AWS: EC2, ECS, S3, RDS
CI: TravisCI, CircleCI, pylint, PHPunit, JSLint, Cruise Control
Software: Git, Nginx, Lighttpd, Apache1/2, Mod rewrite, SVN, MySqlite, Emacs, Bind, XCode, gcc, IPTables
Concepts: MVC, OO Design, Test Driven Development, TDD, SEO
Frameworks: Django, Symfony1/2, Zend, Silex, Yii, Cake, jQuery, Scriptaculous, Prototype, Cordova, QUnit, jQuery Mobile
Stack: (AWS, Ubuntu, Nginx Python, Django, React)
March 2018 - present
- Designed and implemented scalable asynchronous background job processing (Celery, EC2, ECS, RDS, RabbitMQ)
- Designed and implemented a process to automatically update external libraries, PR the change, test the functionality of the libraries that depend on external APIs (*but only in the PR test flow)
- Designed and implemented CircleCI "fan out" workflows to parallelize CI PR tests
- Designed and implemented catching and logging unhandled exceptions across multiple projects and languages (Sentry, Python, Celery, React)
- Implemented uptime monitoring
- Re-structured the deploy process from a manual multi-stage process into a single "push button" script
- Wrote and distributed git hooks to enforce linting, typing and stylistic cohesion (pylint, flake8, isort, pypy, git)
- Linux, Apache2, MySQL, PHP5, emacs, bash, XHTML, CSS3, JS, JSLint
- jQuery, SVN, symfony1/2, solr, Lucene, Propel, Doctrine, joomla, REST API, jQuery UI, jQuery Mobile
- DD-WRT VPN flashing and installation
Senior Software Engineer : Havenly.com
Stack: (AWS, Ubuntu, Nginx, PHP, Cake, React)
Nov 2015 - Dec 2017
- Mentored junior developers
- Designed and implemented a horizontally scalable queued data feed system that ingested 7+ million rows daily from 25+ sources in 15 different formats, utilizing decoupled queues that 1) retained the raw data for traceability, 2) transformed, validate and saved the data locally and 3) pushed the data up to an external API with faceted fuzzy searching.
- Constructed a cohesive plan to upgrade from CakePHP2 to CakePHP3 which involved restructuring the codebase around best practice OO principles to allow for encapsulation and unit testability. This included moving functionality into Behaviors and Components (CakePHP terms for mixins/traits).
- SQL optimization, CSS3, JS, selenium (python), HTML5 with an emphasis on mobile, Twitter bootstrap
- EC2 (load balancing, autoscaling), CodeDeploy, RDS, new relic, papertrail, Stripe
Stack: (Ubuntu, Lighttpd, PHP, Yii, Jquery)
2014 - 2015
- Filled the role of architect during a search to fill that position including designing development flow and recommending technical direction. Performed technical interviews of architect candidates. Evaluated vendors and SAAS platforms in comparison to in house development. Interpreted and prioritized external pentest results.
- Dealt with frequent alterations in prioritization of known tasks and unexpected tasks.
- Provided detailed explanations of the technical status of the site to upper management.
- Implemented phpunit, and an environment replication process.
- Spearheaded transition to JIRA for the use of the development team to track issues.
- Beanstalk, ssh key / git / perl deploy mechanism, researched and implemented best practices.
- Redesigned the web server configuration for use with a load balancer.
- Mentored junior developers
Stack: (CentOS, Apache, PHP5, JQuery)
2005 - 2009
- Provided guidance and instruction to other engineers about design, flow and integration
- Implemented a propel like database based code generation system including unit tests
- Instituted unit testing and set up continuous integration
- Wrote a firefox plugin to allow developers to enable, disable and customize debugging in firebug
- Responsible for all payments and related systems, paypal and credit card as well as all internal tools used to monitor, alter and archive entire accounts for legal processing
- Designed, and implemented an asynchronous dynamic templated email system adding tracking, reliability to the email process and securing web servers
- Migrated existing pages to an MVC framework for the internal tools systems, including payment reconciliation, custom reusable widgets and user level authentication and permissions.
- Designed, and created a AJAX system to dynamically display consistent status messages after taking action, including returning caught exceptions, specifically database exceptions
- Responsible for all crons and all development associated with crons
- Admin responsibilities for web servers and databases
Proxima Technology: US Systems Administrator
2004 - 2005
- Migration from Windows 2000 to Samba 3.0 for office file share
- Design and install Linux tape backup system
- Migrate gateway device from Redhat 6.2 to Debian woody bf 2.4
- Debian, Outlook, Windows 2000, Windows XP, WEP, WPA, networking, Iptables, DNS, PPTP, VPND, GRE over IP, Bind5 DHCP, bash, perl, tcl scripting
Bachelor of Computer Science (2000-2004)
Master of Business Administration (2004-2005)
2000 - 2005
I enjoy snowboarding, go (the game), reading, welding, and a pretty much constant stream of home projects. I enjoy a challenge and I love puzzles, and problem solving, as well as working with my hands and constructing things. I also contribute to open source projects, specifically emacs libraries, symfony and a few associated plugins. Some things I made: http://biodieseldirigible.com/?c=big-wheel#
Bryan Potter: firstname.lastname@example.org
Woody Whitman: email@example.com
Brian Braido: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Fowler: email@example.com
Todd Benge: firstname.lastname@example.org
Luke Swanson: email@example.com