Activity Completion Moodle ISU
Activity completion or progress tracking allows the instructor to monitor student progress through the course. Setting the activity completion options dictates when an activity will be marked as complete. When an activity is marked complete, the student will see a check mark next to the activity on the course page and in the progress tracking report.
This guide will help you to:
- Turn Activity Completion On
- Apply Activity Completion Settings to an Activity
- Locate and Use the Activity Completion Report
Turning Activity Completion On
- In the My Courses area, Click on the course title of the course.
- In the Administration block Click on the Course Administration option.
- Click on Edit Settings.
- Scroll down to the Completion tracking section.
- Locate the Enable Completion Tracking option and Select Yes from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Save Changes button located at the bottom of the screen.
Applying Activity Completion to an Activity
- Click on the Turn Editing On button in the top right corner on the course homepage.
- Locate the activity you would like to edit on your course homepage.
- Click on the Update icon.
- Scroll down until you see the Activity Completion section.
Choose the desired setting from the Completion Tracking dropdown menu. There are three options:
- Do not indicate activity completion: The completion check mark will not be displayed next to an activity. This also makes it so that you cannot set any completion conditions.
Note: If the Do not indicate activity completion option is selected you will not be able to use this activity as an Activity completion condition for another activity in the course.
- Students can manually mark the activity as completed: Students can click the check mark next to the activity on the course page to mark the activity as completed.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met: Allows you to create a set of conditions that must be met in order for the activity to be marked as complete.
Note: Different activities offer different sets of conditions that you can choose. Some of these other options include:
- Require posts: This is a Forum-specific feature that requires a student to post a certain number of times before the activity is marked complete.
- Require discussions: This is a Forum-specific feature that requires a student to create a certain number of discussions before the activity is marked complete.
- Require replies: This is a Forum-specific feature that requires a student to reply a certain number of times before the activity is marked complete.
- Require entries: This is a Glossary-specific feature that requires a student to create a certain number of entries before the activity is marked complete.
- Expect Completed On: This designates a date when the activity is expected to be completed.
Note: Students cannot see the Expected Completed On date, it is only used in the activity completion report. Instructions for viewing your course activity completion report will be given later in this guide.
5. Once you have set all of the activity completion conditions, Click the Save and Return To Courses or the Save and Display button at the bottom of the page.
Activity Completion Conditional Settings
If you selected the option to Show Activity as Complete When Conditions are Met from the Completion Tracking dropdown menu, then you will be able to decide when the activity will be marked complete via the use of several conditions.
The conditions that are available to you are:
- Require view: This will mark the activity as complete when the activity is viewed by clicking the link for it on the course homepage.
Note: The options change depending on the activity. In Forums you will have options for making a certain number of posts or replies. In a Choice activity you can choose to mark an activity as complete when a student makes a choice.
- Require grade: This will require the students to get a grade on the activity in order for it to be marked as complete.
Activity Completion Report
The activity completion report allows you to view a report of each student’s progress via the the number of completed activities.
To access the Activity Completion report for your course:
- In the Navigation block, Click on the My Courses option to reveal your courses.
- Click on the course name for which you would like to see the report.
- Click on the triangle next to the Reports option to reveal a dropdown menu.
- Click on the Activity Completion option.
- The report will appear on the screen with the students and their progress.
Note: You can download this report as an Excel file if desired.
For more information please see http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Activity_completion
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.