Activity Completion Moodle ISU
Activity completion or progress tracking, allows the instructor to monitor student progress through the course. Setting the activity completion options dictates when an activity will be marked as complete. When an activity is marked complete, the student will see a checkmark next to the activity on the course page and in the progress tracking report.
This guide will help you to:
Turn On Activity Completion
Please watch this video on how to use the Completion Progress feature within Moodle
- In the Administration block, Select Edit settings.
- Scroll to the Completion tracking section.
- From the Enable completion tracking dropdown menu, Select Yes.
Note: You may need to click on the arrow next to the section title to access the options. You can also Click Expand all at the top of the page to reveal all of the sections.
- Click Save and display.
Apply Activity Completion to an Activity
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- Locate the activity you would like to edit.
- From the Edit dropdown menu, Select Edit settings.
- Scroll until you see the Activity completion section.
- From the Completion tracking dropdown menu, Select the desired option.
- Do not indicate activity completion - The completion checkmark will not be displayed next to an activity. This also makes it so that you cannot set any completion conditions.
Note: If the Do not indicate activity completion option is selected, you will not be able to use this activity as an Activity completion condition for another activity in the course.
- Students can manually mark the activity as completed - Students can click the check mark next to the activity on the course page to mark the activity as completed.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met - Allows you to create a set of conditions that must be met in order for the activity to be marked as complete.
Note: Different activities offer different sets of conditions that you can choose. Some of these other options include:
- Require discussions - This is a forum-specific feature that requires a student to create a certain number of discussions before the activity is marked complete.
- Require end date - This is a lesson-specific feature that requires the student to reach the end of the lesson before the activity is marked as complete.
- Require entries - This is a glossary-specific feature that requires a student to create a certain number of entries before the activity is marked complete.
- Require posts - This is a forum-specific feature that requires a student to post a certain number of times before the activity is marked complete.
- Require replies - This is a forum-specific feature that requires a student to reply a certain number of times before the activity is marked complete.
- Require time spent- This is a lesson-specific feature that requires the student to spend a designated amount of time in the lesson before it is marked as complete.
- Expect completed on - This designates a date when the activity is expected to be completed.
Note: Students cannot see the Expected completed on date. It is only used in the activity completion report. Instructions for viewing your course activity completion report will be given later in this guide.
Activity Completion Conditional Settings
If you selected the option to Show activity as complete when conditions are met from the Completion tracking dropdown menu, then you will be able to decide when the activity will be marked complete via the use of several conditions.
The conditions that are available to you are:
- Require view -This will mark the activity as complete when the activity is viewed by clicking the link for it on the course homepage.
Note: The options change depending on the activity. In forums, you will have options for making a certain number of posts or replies. In a choice activity, you can choose to mark an activity as complete when a student makes a choice.
- Require grade - This will require the students to get a grade on the activity in order for it to be marked as complete.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken to the course homepage.
- Click Save and display to be taken to the activity.
- Click Cancel to delete any changes.
Locate and Use the Activity Completion Report
The activity completion report allows you to view a report of each student’s progress via the number of completed activities.
To access the activity completion report for your course:
- In the Administration block, Click Reports.
- Select Activity completion.
- The report will appear on the screen with the students and their progress.
Note: You can download this report as an Excel file if desired.
For more information, see Activity Completion
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.