Soft and Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup for rolling
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup molasses, light or dark
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In shallow baking dish or pie plate, place 1/2 cup sugar for rolling dough;set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to medium-low and add molasses; beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to lowest setting; add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl down once.
- Roll one heaping tablespoon of dough into a ball between your palms, roll the ball in the sugar, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet spacing the balls about 2 inches apart Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, about 11 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
Yields: 22 cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com