Recipe from:Confessions of a Wannabe Baker
Carol’s Wedding Cake (Pumpkin Spice Cake)
4 c. cake flour ( I made my own – I will explain in another post – but you can use store store bought too)
1 tsp baking soda
1Tbsp + 1tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (my teaspoons were not level – but not exactly heaping – I just was generous with the cinnamon)
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg (I didn’t use fresh grated- I used from the jar)
1/4 tsp cloves
2 sticks butter – room temp
2 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 c. buttermilk
1 and 1/2 c. canned pumpkin puree (generous with this measurement too)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices – I sifted twice.
- In mixer on med- cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time making sure each are incorporated and scrape sides in between each one.
- Reduce to low (make sure you do this – oops)
- Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk. (Three batches of flour and two of milk – start and end with flour mixture)
- Beat until combined.
- Add pumpkin and beat until combined.
- Pour into a cake pan (I used wilton’s cake release, but you could just butter and flour your pan)
- Bake for 25-35 mins.
- (a 10” cake took about 32 mins , 8” – 30mins, 6” –27 mins and the 11x14 sheet cake was 34 mins)
- Let cool on rack completely before icing and filling.