OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 27th March 2012

18:00 - 18:30 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Dermot McNally, Richard Weait, Simon Poole, Michael Collinson, Grant Slater

Apologies: Oliver

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met March 20th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Simon

Seconded: Dermot


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (should be complete soon)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. ?OS or linking to attribution page or both?
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Mike - Make sure responding to German-language decliner mailings on a future agenda so that it gets done.
  • Mike - update UMP on OSM community feedback (done). 
  • Dermot will write to rebuild list re Rule test cases. and Simon will translate for German lists.
  • Dermot - Follow up on software for Poland object-granularity inclusion/exclusion for ODbL
  • Richard - LWG to approach our legal counsel re Apple lack of attribution (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

5.  Contact and re-map

Global picture:

  • Older contributor acceptances now 63,960 - an increase of 800 over last week, declines down to 415.
  • Nodes that will likely not survive the license change are down from 21.43 to 20.73M [1]
  • Ways which may have to be completely deleted are down from 1.67M to 1.57M [1]
  • Problematic relations down from 39.6K to 38.0K [1]


Lost mappers project:

1st lot of mappers (>100 highways created): down from 1014 to 664 meaning that not quite 35% have been tracked down and have agreed.

The 2nd list (> 40 highways created) is down from 959 to 772, ~20% agreed.

6. Technical Rebuild

The Plan

More hardware being added to soon which will help.

A read-only period will start April 1st for a hardware move for 2 or 3 days. Then read-write access will be restored and a software redaction process will run in parallel. Once complete, the formal license change will take place.  Schedule details in blog post as below.


A blog posting is being prepared and will be release shortly at

Grant left the meeting at 20:23

8. AOB

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Apr 3rd 18:00 UTC / 19:00 BST(UK) / 20:00 CEST