Chile Cornmeal Crusted Po’ Boy
For Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu
Corn or vegetable oil for frying
* 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
* 1 cup soy or rice milk
* 2 Tb cornstarch
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 2 Tb chili powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/4 tsp cayenne
* 1 Tb grated lime zest
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
1. Slice the tofu width wise into eight slices, then cut each of those slices in half diagonally - from the upper left corner to the lower right corner - so that you have 16 long triangles. Set aside.
2. Combine the soy milk and cornstarch in a wide, shallow bowl. Mix vigorously with a fork until the cornstarch is mostly dissolved.
3. In another shallow bowl, toss together the cornmeal, spices, lime zest and salt.
1. Heat about 1/4" of oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. ( To test if the oil is ready, sprinkle in a pinch of batter. When the batter sizzles and bubbles form rapidly around it, you're good to go. )
2. Dip each individual tofu slice in the soy milk mixture. Drop it into the cornmeal with your dry hand and use your other hand to dredge it in the mixture, so that it's coasted on all sides.
3. Transfer the tofu to the skillet in two batches so as not to crowd the pan. Fry tofu for 3 minutes on one side, use tongs to flip over each piece, and fry for 2 more minutes.
4. Drain the fried tofu on a clean paper bag or paper towels.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Place the coated tofu on the baking sheet in a single layer.
2. Spray with oil until lightly coated. Flip over and spray the other side.
3. Bake for 12 minutes on each side.
Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu Po'Boy
* 1 recipe Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu
* Vegan Mayo ( I use Vegenaise )
* Store bought or homemade guacamole
* 2 slices of vegan mozzarella cheese
* Sandwich pickles
* Lettuce and sliced tomatoes
* 2 ( 12 inch ) loaves of French bread, sliced in half and split open ( I didn't have any French bread, so I went with whole wheat hamburger buns. Just as good! )
Assembling the Sandwiches
1. Spread mayo on the bottom halves of the bread and place the tofu, guacamole, cheese, pickle, lettuce and tomatoes.
2. Spread some mayo onto the top half of the bread, close the sandwich, slice in half if desired, and serve.