Bay Social Studies Resource Page
ODE Social Studies Field Test Portal
QR Code Generator http://createqrcode.appspot.com/
Cut and paste the URL code or short text message that you want to “QR” in the box. Once the QR code image is created, RIGHT CLICK on the QR image and choose “SAVE IMAGE AS” ---> Name it and save it onto your computer or into dropbox, your shared drive etc. OR you can choose to PRINT IT.
Website for creating Custom Google Search Engine https://www.google.com/cse/all
Social Studies Resource Newsletters
- ODE Model Curriculum and Transition Tools Use this site to find crosswalk comparisons to current standards, pdf versions of the new model curriculum by grade level and draft curriculum for HS level courses.
Bay Schools Learning Targets k-12 (in progress)
History and Geography Learning Targets
Questions/Comments we had as we worked on the History Targets:
- How much time is going to be spent on History or the other strands?
- Do we weave the other strands into it - more integrated...or do we do a “history chunk” - We are thinking that the integrated approach makes more sense.
- Do we look at the big picture theme?
- Stretch targets - how much do we want kids to move on...or do we want to stretch them by moving DEEPER into the content?
- Many of the targets within a grade are moving along a progression even within the grade level.
- There also seems to be more of an emphasis on tying what is going on today with what has gone on in the past.
- Most of the learning targets seem to be reason and knowledge
Primary Source Resources
- Docs Teach - National Archive Education Page Lessons and Activities plus 1000s of primary source documents. Create your own interactive learning activity - you can use this - or let your kids use it.
- Additional National Archives Lessons
- Primary Documents Online (compiled by the California State Univ. San Marcos Library) extensive listing with hyperlinks, included is the Fordham University Internet History Sourcebook resources, American and Global historical documents.
Financial Literacy Resources
- SAS Curriculum Pathways -(free for any district to use - just need to set up an account) Our Bay Info username wash33mind no password
Ohio Specific Resources
Literacy and Writing Across the Curriculum
Reading in the Content Area
- Animal Farm (George Orwell) Gutenberg Project Free Text available online. Students can use this version in Read Write Gold or with the Free Firefox add on Fox Vox which will read text online out loud. This version would also be good for finding passages to cut and use in an essay, powerpoint or project.
- Allegory and the Art of Persuasion Thinkfinity.org lesson focusing on using Animal Farm to discuss allegory.
- Propaganda Techniques in Literature and Online Political Ads Thinkfinity.org lesson that includes Animal Farm on the list of suggested books that could be used with the lesson.
- Allegory in Painting Thinkfinity.org lesson that shows students a different way about using allegory to focus on themes like avarice and justice.
Central and South America
War of 1812
European Settlement In North, South and Central American
Colonization of North America
Articles of Confederation
Northwest Ordinance/Land Ordinance
Early Presidencies (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe)
Trail of Tears
Pre Civil War
Washington DC National Mall App http://www.nps.gov/nama/photosmultimedia/app-page.htm