OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 20th December 2011

19:00 - 20:05 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson, Richard Weait, Grant Slater, Simon Poole

Apologies: Oliver Kühn

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met December 13th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Richard

Seconded: Dermot


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. Addition: Pay attention to Poland UMP-pcPL project
  • Mike - Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Richard will draft sub-phases to get us to April 1 2012 license cut-over. 
  • Simon - Is there a Polish OSM forum ? (done)
  • Mike - How active is Polish talk-pl? (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Bulk mailing

Nothing to report

5. LWG Budget for 2012

- Board offer: $1000 LWG thanks . members to consider.

- Board would like an operating budget of for 2012.

6. Poland OSM and UMP-pcPL

Email discussion with OSM Polska Association ongoing.

7. Database re-build

- Guidelines for cleaning tainted data.

We discussed the moving of nodes and whether they could be clean: We have seen a concern expressed where an node is moved by an agreed mapper and that is the last position, should it not be deemed clean (even if created dirty)? Conclusion: Yes, we are OK with that, the assumption being that the move is made in good faith with a reference source, (survey, Bing imagery, …). We consider that the creation of an object and its id to be a system action  rather than individual creative contribution.  Tags on the same node must be considered separately. The LWG would like to adopt this as policy and would be grateful for community feedback.

Frederik has recently proposed a new tag, odbl=clean, to be set by mappers who will vouch for the odbl compliance of any object. The LWG would like to adopt this as policy and would be grateful for community feedback.

As always we assume good faith on the part of all mappers. Any edits deemed to be in bad faith will be regarded as vandalism and reverted and the mappers will be subject to sanction.

- Walking Papers

Prototype demonstrated, looking good.

- Garmin map

Simon has implemented these for many regions, looking good.


Not discussed

- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Jan 3rd 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET