by TEARN media
Mobile Advertising Services
- introduces the Coffee-Table apps from TEARN media
- contains the step-by-step instructions for preparing and managing the multi-page, custom slide-shows for your advertising listings
- supplies the rate card and specials for the best eCPM in the digital industry
Let TEARN become one of your top-5-source of traffic to your website.
What is a Coffee-Table App?
The Coffee-Table apps promote the pubs, golf, music, festivals, restaurants, shopping, castles, beaches, bed-and-breakfasts ... any aspect of the local business for a region.
- Our apps source the richness of images and videos from millions of volunteers on the web.
- Google ranks the best for presentation in our apps.
- Each app becomes a social network of relevant special interests by region and topic.
Sample cover for one UK app, left
Menu of apps for the UK apps network over the slots-game card, center
Table of contents for the golf tour CA app over the concentration-game card, right
About the Regional Apps
- The UK apps emphasize history, culture, sports... as well as the UK reputation for fashion, film, and music. (see Tablet version of UK apps - best simulated experience using a Safari or Chrome browser.)
- The CA apps promote beaches, recreational golf, technology, and cultural diversity - leveraging the state’s multi-cultural ties with Mexico, China, Japan, and India. (see Tablet version of CA apps - best simulated experience using a Safari or Chrome browser.)
- The Caribbean apps highlight island life, sports, music, TV shows, and foods that attract loyal visitors from neighboring continents.
All apps also target intra-regional travel.
Users download, learn, and discover the wealth of destinations for their next vacation break. Like a coffee-table book or magazine, each app is 500 to 3,000 pages of an interactive, photo essay that supplies persistent, light edutainment - that has been extremely popular among mobile users.
Features of Custom Slideshows
The custom slideshow is a unique format for advertising that engages users. Rather than asking users to click through, we bring your message directly to mobile users using the multi-page slideshow.
- Multi-page: Like fanfold ads in glossy magazines, each insertion can be up to 10 full-screen photos.
- Flick AdsTM: Our format is the first and only one to simulate the magazine experience for viewing tabloid-sized ad pages. The user seamlessly flicks through both features and display ads.
- Animated Ads: Your ad automatically gains the same animation, without the expensive programming costs.
- Embedded Ads: Your slideshow participates in the interactive gaming, similar to embedded ads in a movie or TV show.
- Dynamic Ads: These apps are dynamic. As hot destinations and events emerge and disappear, the best automatically feeds to the users of our apps. This feature also applies to advertiser slideshows that may include daily specials.
Coffee-Table App is a unique, welcomed experience for the next generation of advertising.
Creating Your Multi-page Slideshow
You can create a slideshow of photos with your destination name that is inserted/listed by region within an app. For example, in the golf app above:
- Hunters Ranch Golf Course would be listed under Central Coast in the Golf Tour app - at the same level as Monterey, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz.
- Touching or flicking to this Hunters Ranch listing would activate the slideshow for this golf course.
- Touching a photo activates a visit to this website.
Like coffee-table books, users flick to read a mix of regional and paid slideshows, thus creating the first and only product that combines the magazine flipping experience for advertisers with the interactive accountability of online adverts --- but on a phone.
A slideshow is an album of photos that has been uploaded to any public site such as Flickr or Picasa.
Flickr set of images for the California apps
Microsoft Windows on your PC calls this album a folder. Flickr calls an album a set. Each album is simply a collection of photos.
FAQ on photo preparation:
- All photos in an album should have the same orientation. Don’t mix landscape and portrait photos in the same album. Mixing may create unacceptable distortions.
- The album or set name can be any text - and is not referenced in the slideshow.
- An album can have up to 10 photos. If the album has more photos, the most recent 10, by date, will be displayed to the users. The minimum is one photo.
- Don’t use porn or other images that cause social controversy. Advertisers who violate this rule will be removed from the app.
- Advertisers are responsible for all copyright issues with their photos.
- TEARN uses cloud computing. This means photos are hosted at Flickr, apps at Google, and metrics at your website. There is no central server for TEARN; thus, our solution works and scales reliably regardless of the number of users.
- The Coffee-Table apps are compatible, optimized, and available on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android phones like the Dell Streak, Motorola Droid, Facebook, and HTC phones, Palm; select Blackberry, Nokia, Sony, LG, and Samsung phones; and the ever expanding ecosystem of touch devices.
- Photos may look fuzzy when viewed with a PC. Images have been optimized for fast delivery to mobile devices and look perfect when viewed from a phone.
- Our Coffee-Table service covers both mobile and emerging tablet devices. This may become separate advertising packages as the market for tablets becomes independently viable.
- If you want a link to the phone’s map feature with directions to your location, please state so in your email submission. See below.
- If you want a link to the phone’s auto-dial feature, please state so in your email.
Follow this link to Flickr to create your personal albums.
Captions, Text overlays, and Links
Each photo can have text overlays, captions, and links.
Stay at the Marriott, Ventura Beach
- Text overlays can be any text that overlays one or more photos. Both Flickr and Picasa use the Picnik website for adding text to a photo. Look for the link from a photo to edit your photos.
- Each photo can have a title. The text of the title becomes the caption under the slideshow photo. Add a title to your photo to add captions for your slideshow.
- The order of slides is controlled by the alphabetical text in the title.
- Each photo can have a description. To redirect users, who touch the photos, to your website, include the following text in the description:
where the curly brackets are required and yourdomain.com is replaced by the url for the destination page for redirecting users. Please note that a description box is different from the comments box for a photo.
Submitting Your Insertion / Schedules
When your album is ready, send email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name, business name, address, contact information
- URL of your album (ie copy and paste from the address bar at the top of the browser)
- App Name and category of the TEARN app for ad insertion
- URL of your logo (optional. If missing, we source from your website or omit this step)
- One paragraph description of your business (optional. If missing, we source from your website)
Deadline for submission is one week prior to the end of a month. eg for the November issue, the deadline is October 24. App updates are released on the first day of each month.
Making Changes/Adding a Special
After submission, you can change the photos in your slideshow at your leisure. Use your Flickr account to add and remove photos as needed.
- For example, you can announce a special using text overlays on a photo and a link to your landing page.
- Include the photo in the album and the special is immediately released.
- To end the special, remove the photo from the album.
TEARN depends on your website software to monitor results.
- Clicks: Users who click through will be tagged with TEARN as the source. This result will be monitored and reported by your website software.
- Visits: Users who select your slideshow will automatically pull the logo image supplied by you from your website. The source of the image selection from your servers will be tagged with TEARN.
- Downloads: TEARN reports updated total app downloads to advertisers on a monthly basis. See rate card below.
Latest Rate Card
Our rates are based on cost per thousand downloads (CPMd). Similar to magazine circulation, a download is similar to a magazine subscriber. TEARN adjusts our rates to outperform comparable CPM rates at Yahoo and CPC rates at Google.
Our current CPMd (cost per thousand downloads) is less than $3 per month. We update our download count below on a monthly basis. Thus, the current monthly rate below will increase every month.
Downloads and Ad Rates
United Kingdom Apps
Current Monthly Rate
Start-up Special - Monthly Rate
* insertions in additional apps receive a 50% volume discount per insertion - each insertion can have its own custom slideshow or point to the same show.
The downloads are growing at exponential rates. The total network, which includes educational apps that don’t carry advertising, is already 1,500,000 downloads; and growing at the rate of 250,000 more downloads per month. The current rate has been 5,000 to 7,000 new downloads per day.
Specials to Save
The start-up special is a one-time rate for first-time advertisers. Advertisers who lock in longer term contracts with this rate have the advantage of lower CPMd by paying the special rates while reaching the mobile users who download in the coming months, in essence, for free. For example, if an advertiser prepays for 6 months at $100, and the rates increase to $300 a month by April, early advertisers save $1,200 on a six-month contract.
This savings apply to renewal rates as well - the more you commit in advance, the more you save.
If you have more questions, want to lock in your rate, or need help preparing your slideshow --- please contact your local representatives.