Pools are collections and groups of questions that can be stored for repeated use in multiple assessments. For example, you might have a set of related questions you would like to reuse in several tests or surveys, or even across multiple courses. The advantage of using a pool is you do not have to remember all those questions and manually add them to each test or survey. Pools can be imported into and exported from Blackboard for reuse.
Pool questions are only presented to students once they are included in a deployed test or survey. When pool questions are selected for a test, links are created between the test and the pool questions. Changes to linked questions produce a warning message that the changes take effect everywhere the question appears.
To build a pool:
- Click the Course Tools button on the control panel, then choose Tests, Surveys and Pools on the expanded menu.
- Click Pools on the Tests, Surveys, and Pools page, then click the Build Pool button.
- Complete the Pool Information page by assigning a name for the pool, as well as a description and instructions, if needed. Click the Submit button to move to the Pool Canvas.
- Click the Question Settings button to set default options for questions within the pool including correct/incorrect answer feedback, whether images, files, and web links can be attached to questions and/or answers, use metadata to organize and categorize questions, set scoring options, and determine how questions are displayed to students.
- When options are set, click Submit to save changes and return to the Pool Canvas.
- To add questions manually, hover over the Create Questions button, then select the question type from the drop-down menu.
- Provide the question and answer text, as needed, along with any preferences for partial credit, randomization, and other type-specific options. Click the Submit button to create the question and return to the Pool Canvas.
- Once all questions have been created, click the OK button at the bottom of the page. This will return you to the Pools page, on which the new question pool will be displayed.