Berry Cream Brunch Cake (Adapted from bettycrocker.com)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
2-3 teaspoons (can add more if you desire a sweeter taste)
Place all ingredients into a small sauce pan. Take potato masher and crush berries slightly. Cook over medium heat until mixture is reduced to about half stirring constantly. This will take 1 to 2 minutes. Take of burner and let cool until room temperature.
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 package (8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar (can add more if you desire a sweeter filling)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and side of 10-inch springform pan or 11x7 inch (2 quart) glass baking dish with shortening; lightly flour.
2. In small bowl, mix filling ingredients until smooth; set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork until mixture looks like course crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Stir baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla extract, and egg into remaining crumb mixture. Spread batter over bottom and 2 inches up side (about 1/4 inch thick) of pan.
4. Pour filling over batter. Carefully spoon the cooled berry mixture over filling. (If using almond add to the reserved crumbs). Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture of the berry filling.
5. Bake springform pan 50 to 60 minutes. 11x7 inch dish 35 to 45 minutes or until filling is set and crust is deep brown. Cool 15 minutes remove side of springform pan Serve warm is desired. Store covered in refrigerator. Makes about 16 servings.
(Note if substituting strawberry preserves for the blueberry sauce use 1/2 cup).