SCCT PRODUCTION STAFF
This position reports to the Director. All production/artistic staff positions ultimately report to the producers. In the event of irresolvable disputes among the production/artistic staff, the decision of the Producers shall be final.
- Design scenery and props for for a theatrical production based on the artistic concept of the Director.
- Construct and/or acquire scenic elements necessary to execute the design.
- Provide ground plans and working drawings to communicate design concept.
- Coordinate scenic elements with Costume and Lighting Designers to assure cohesive design.
- Serve as scenic artist.
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and operable scenic shop. Supervise interns, apprentices, and volunteers in the scenic shop and storage areas. Provide instruction as necessary to build technical skills and to ensure safety. Coordinate utilization of apprentices and volunteers to assure the timely completion of each production’s scenic requirements.
- Manage scenic budget to cover cost of set construction, paint, equipment, furniture, and props in consultation with Producers and Treasurer. Coordinate acquisition of scenic elements through borrowing, rental, or purchase.
- Attend production meetings. Communicate immediately to the production staff any changes or revisions to scenic elements.
- Attend load-in and strike.
- Attend all technical and dress rehearsals.
- Must possess strong background in scenic design and production (arena theatre experience highly desirable). Must be versed in scenic painting and standard theatrical scenery techniques. Must possess the ability to design from stock.
- Must possess strong oral communication skills and be able to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- Must have or be willing to apply for Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are age 21 or older.
- The Scenic Designer is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT.
- An honorarium will be paid to the Scenic Designer on opening night.
- If, for any reason, the Scenic Designer cannot complete the duties of the position, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.