OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 13th March 2012

19:00 - 20:45 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Simon Poole, Richard Weait, Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson, Grant Slater Apologies: Oliver

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met March 6th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Richard


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (should be complete soon)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. ?OS or linking to attribution page or both?
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Mike - Make sure responding to German-language decliner mailings on a future agenda so that it gets done.
  • Mike - Posting to Announce mailing list will be done after today’s “Night OF the Living Maps
  • Mike to draft messaging required for consumers of planet diffs related to changeover requirements due to licence change.
  • Mike - update UMP on OSM community feedback. 
  • Mike - Give Sweden contact for lost mappers to Simon (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4.  Contact and re-map

Global picture:

  • Older contributor acceptances now 62,450 - an increase of 725 over last week . 422 declines, (down 3).
  • Nodes that will likely not survive the license change are down from 22.66M to 21.83M [1]
  • Ways which may have to be completely deleted are slightly down from 1.77M to 1.72M [1]
  • Problematic relations down from 40.4K to 39.7K [1]


Lost mappers project:

Current numbers as per 18:00 UTC 2012.03.13

1st lot of large mappers (> 100 highways created): down from 1014 to 742

~27% have agreed,
roughly 100k highways total improvement.

2nd lot of medium size mappers (> 40 highways created): down from 959 to 859

~10% have agreed

Still not good: Asia, Central and South America.

Essentially all of the mappers on the lists have received at least one e-mail, exception Polish mappers
(roughly 30 on the large mappers list) where we have not done anything yet.

5. Technical Rebuild

Rebuild group questions:

Rule test cases now exist, more folks need to look at them. Dermot will write to rebuild list and Simon will translate for German lists.

Exceptional changesets:

There is a specific case where a decliner had been apparently deleting existing nodes and ways then recreating them. We discussed whether we needed to get involved from a policy point of view.

6. AOB

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Mar 20th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET