* 1/3 cup tamari
* 1/3 cup mirin
* 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
* 1 Tb rice wine ( I used cooking sake )
* 2 Tb fresh ginger, grated
* 1 pound prepared seitan
* 2 red bell peppers
* 2 Japanese eggplants or any other type of slender eggplant
* 1 bunch green onions
1. Place the tamari, mirin, brown sugar, rice wine and ginger in a medium sized bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place half of the sauce aside. Add the seitan to the bowl with the remaining other half of the sauce. Stir well to coat the seitan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
2. If using bamboo skewers, allow to soak in water for about an hour.
3. Remove seitan from marinade and start assembling your skewers. Thread the seitan, bell pepper and eggplant onto the skewers.
4. Preheat a barbecue grill, coat each skewer with a little olive oil to help prevent it from sticking to the grill. Add the skewers to the barbecue and cook, turning occasionally for 10 minutes or until browned slightly and cooked.
5. Place the remaining sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. To serve, place the skewers on a plate along with the sauce.