Cloud Software Service Architect
The Service Architect will be part of the Cloud Engineering Team within the Development Group and will be responsible for the research and collaborating on definition of PaaS and SaaS solutions for New Dream Network, LLC (DreamHost.com). Final deliverables will utilize OpenStack-based DreamHost cloud products. The architect will work very closely with IaaS devs in the Cloud Team, coordinate with project managers, and collaborate with various team leads and Business Strategy. The architect will also support Product Management, Marketing, and Engineering as the Development Group's representative on the creation, enhancement, and support of current and future solution initiatives.
The candidate must have at least 8 years experience in software development/professional services/solution engineering/consulting with expertise in architecting and deploying service solutions and rolling out new technology and solution initiatives.
Preferred location is Atlanta but open to anywhere in US for the right candidate. If you're damned good and not in the US, let's talk.
As the hands-on technical subject matter expert, the Cloud Service Architect will be responsible for:
- Solution-engineering activities such as defining technical specifications, prototyping, and leading dev teams through product delivery life cycles.
- Participating in cross-departmental brainstorming sessions around everything from product definition and use case development to strategic deployment of products in the marketplace.
- Maintaining deep technical and business knowledge of the various DreamHost cloud solutions and ensuring continuous upgrade and integration of new technical features and capabilities.
- Creating best practices documents, leading technical workshops, mentoring junior developers, etc.
- Providing expert technical architectural support and guidance for Business Strategy, Reseller Opportunities, and Marketing.
- Delivering sales and technical collateral including deployment and best practices guides, sizing whitepapers, and solution reference architectures.
At least 6 years experience in architecture and implementation in one or more of the following related areas:
- Multi-Tenant and Enterprise Application Architectures
- Deep familiarity with PaaS offerings (e.g., App Engine, Heroku, Cloud Foundry) and the tools/features that PaaS consumers/devs want in a product
- Intimate knowledge of SaaS solutions and competitive offerings
- Good understanding of OpenStack and a knowledge of its codebase (preferably at a contributor-level)
- Deep understanding of application development, deployment lifecycles and automation through scripting and tools
- Understanding of Web/MVC frameworks, Application Middleware technologies, and Asynchronous Message-Passing libraries
- Familiarity with Service-Oriented Architectures, messaging systems, queues, designing route flows, and implementing these in systems such as RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Qpid, OpenMQ, or ZeroMQ
- Thorough understanding of AMQP, Stomp, and XMPP including how to best leverage these technologies when building out services
- Familiarity with Thrift, Protocol Buffers, BSON, YAML and the like for providing binary communications protocols
- Expert-level knowledge of Python, DVCS, Agile Development Methodologies
- Understanding of deployment technologies such as Chef, Puppet, and Juju
- In-depth, working knowledge of Data Technologies such as MySQL, SQLAlchemy, MongoDB, and Cassandra
- Ability to hold conversations with developers and architects, in other departments or with strategic partners, to extract their best practices
Skills related to and a deep understanding of hosting and software commodity industries are strongly desired.
Needs to have technical deep-dive, hands-on experience on the specific service solution areas to drive solution reference architectures and translate engineering data points to address business and technical stakeholder requirements at the customers.
- Good understanding of virtualization and infrastructure solutions including servers, storage and network.
- Strong UNIX/Linux Operating System skills.
- Deep experience in custom application development experience with Python.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, related field or equivalent experience.