Victoria Insight Meditation Society (VIMS)
Minutes of the Victoria IMS Council
May 4, 2012
A meeting of the VIMS council was held at the home of Brock Brown and June Fukushima, Victoria, B.C. on May 4, 2012. The meeting commenced at 2:45 p.m.
Present: Brock Brown chair
Joyce Elliott retreat operations
June Fukushima treasurer
John Hilditch secretary
Rod House technology and communications
Guest: Joan Glover previous treasurer
1. Approval of the agenda: It was moved by June Fukushima that the agenda be approved as circulated. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
2. Approval of the minutes of the March 19, 2012 meeting. It was moved by Rod House that the minutes be approved as circulated. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
3. Business Arising from the minutes and updates:
4. Sangha social and information sharing meeting: It was agreed that the previously suggested date of June 2 for such a meeting is unrealistic. Because of other commitments the meeting will be postponed.
5. Treasurer’s Report: A quarterly financial report was presented. (attached) Joan Glover reported that, as of March 31 our assets are $7,666.96, $4,711.26 of which is in the General Fund and $2,955.70 in the Discretionary Fund. Joan commented that for book-keeping purposes the Discretionary Fund will be reported as a “class”. June agreed to look into the recommendation and see if we can keep the purposes of the two funds and address the problem with accurately reporting expenditures from the Discretionary Fund.
6. New Treasurer: At the AGM June Fukushima was acclaimed to the position of Treasurer. The council thanked Joan Glover for her excellent contribution as previous treasurer. Rod House moved that Joan Glover be removed as signing officer and that June Fukushima be added as signing officer. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
Rod House moved that the council purchase a used lap-top computer for a maximum of $400 to be used by the treasurer for the Quickbook programs. The motion received unanimous endorsement. Brock declared the motion Implemented.
7. Brock will prepare and send the AGM report to the Society’s Act.
The following items on the agenda will be postponed to a future meeting:
8. The next meeting will be on Monday June 4 at 1:00 p.m. at the home of Rod House.
The meeting terminated at 4:10 p.m.
Brock Brown, Chair John Hilditch, Secretary