Ionic vs. Covalent Lab
1. Place small amount of salt in crucible. Place on triangle over bunsen burner.
2. Heat for three minutes. Record what happens.
3. Have teacher empty out crucible into sink.
4. Have teacher place small amount of wax in crucible.
5. Place on triangle over bunsen burner.
6. Heat until all wax completely gone and there is no flame left. Turn off bunsen burner. Record what happened.
7. Leave crucible in triangle, until the end of the entire lab, then carefully clean.
8. Place small amount of sugar in test tube.
9. Fill halfway full with water and shake with thumb over top.
10. Record what happens, and pour contents down drain.
11. Place small amount of wax in test tube, fill halfway full with water and shake with thumb over top.
12. Record what happens , and pour water down drain, and place wax in trash.
What kind of bonds are each of the compounds.
Which compounds dissolve in water?
Which compounds melt easily?