OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 8th November 2011

19:00 - 19:26 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Dermot McNally, Grant Slater, Michael Collinson, Richard Weait

Apologies: Oliver Kühn

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met November 1st.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Grant


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes
  • Richard - Second emailing (Sept 20 minutes) - start drafting
  • Richard - 28 Obsolete .yu addresses (Sept 20 minutes) - draft a careful email with privacy in mind.
  • Richard - Deceased contributors (Sept 20 minutes) ask counsel: Are there any grounds for publishing their contributions under ODbL without contacting their estate for permission? (in progress)
  • Mike Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes).

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. .yu emailing

Translations of English-language email draft requested.

5. Deceased contributors

Our understanding of initial response from legal counsel: We could do it with permission from the bereaved but varies very much from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, right down to state level. Probably not worth pursuing except on a case by case basis where individuals who know the bereaved and can approach them with tact and sensitivity.

6. From OSMF Board Meeting

Dermot reports:

Board would like to set 1st April 2012 for cutting over to ODbL latest.

LWG feels that with current status this is a practical goal for the community to work towards and resolves to meet this target (phase 5 in our implementation plan

Richard will draft sub-phases to get us there.  The LWG is of the opinion that the immediate step, in addition to a second mass mailing to older contributors who have neither accepted nor declined the new terms, is to formally encourage local remapping where there are ways and nodes touched by folks who have not accepted the new terms.  LWG will discuss on legal-talk before a formal announcement.


- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Nov 15th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 1:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CEST

AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.