Glasgow Ultimate meeting. 15/11/2011
1. Training sessions/venues
- Are we happy to keep training at Garscube on Monday nights?
- Will we hire training facilities, if so where and how often, weekly? Monthly, Termly?
- Should we dedicate specific training sessions to elite (invite only), social (everyone), youth (if we ever had enough interested).
- Skills day? Or regular skills sessions.
- What are we willing to pay?
- We will keep training on Monday nights and keep it open to everyone. Far Flung need to hassle GUSA and arrange a meeting to try to get better training facilities.
- We will hold 2 extra Glasgow ultimate training sessions before Christmas. 1 will be a skills session open to everyone, the 2nd will be a team training session tailored to those who want to play competitive ultimate.
- We will re-assess training sessions at the end of the year. Niall will search for appropriate venues and get quotes and available times. Possible suggestions were Toryglen or soccerworld for indoors. Rugby clubs, primary schools, Garscube 3G, council parks and leisure centres for outdoors.
- We are happy to train on floodlit 3G pitches outdoors and an acceptable cost would be around £3 per hour.
- In the new year we will look at paying a set fee up front for training and possibly a little extra to go in to a kitty for the club.
- Which tournaments will we aim to play: Tour, Cube, Indoors, Windmill?
- Who will be Glasgow Open captain? Encourage guys to go to tour if not with Fusion.
- Do we want to organise fixtures against other teams? Mixed, open womens?
- We will send a team to club indoor nationals.
- We will send as many Glasgow teams to cube as possible.
- We will play mixed tour but select 1 of the tournaments as the main focus and hype it up.
- We will look in to attending a foreign tournament in the summer, Oli will present a list of possibilities and start gathering names/interst by the end of this year.
- We would like to send an Open team to tour but we will need to see who is interested closer to the time.
- We would like to arrange fixtures for mixed and open and possibly womens. We are willing to travel to Edinburgh, Stirling, possibly Dundee but opposition further afield would need to come to us or meet halfway. Shaun is responsible for organising fixtures.
- Who wants to coach at training - i.e run warm ups, drills, go over tactics etc
- Who will be the head coaches – Main coaches to plan sessions and devise tactics.
- Do we want to get in guest coaches?
- Any comments on coaching so far and how best to coach beginners for next year
- Training resources need to be completed and put online
- How do we find time to improve individual skills? Mentoring? 1 in every 4 trainings a skill session?
- Can anyone offer anything else to the club e.g. fitness, nutrition, medical, technical coaching of Frisbee and non-frisbee related skills.
- Video instruction?
- We will set up a committee of Head Coaches (4/5 people, at least 1 female and 1 uni player). This will be decided asap. Head coaches will devise tactics and the seasons coaching plan. They will put in place a system for easily planning drills and sessions. We will have a list of coaches that want to get involved in coaching but are not responsible for development. Their role will be to collaborate with head coaches to run sessions or drills.
- All willing coaches: Shaun, Phil, Sarah, Jonny, Oli, Hilary, Anja, Ryan, Nigel, Marky, Donald, Kerem, Bum, John, Greg, Derryk, Conor. This is a list of those that volunteered last night and those that answered yes in the previous survey. Let me know if you want to be taken off this list.
- We are keen to get a few guest coaches along to training sessions. E.g. Barry, Fusion/GB players, Niamh, Tex, Carol.
- Include training plan in reminder emails. People find training recaps useful.
- Phil and Shaun will get the training resources site completed by Christmas.
- We didn’t discuss this but we are planning to devote practices to teaching skills and techniques. We will encourage people to get out and throw in their own time. We may implement a mentoring scheme at Glasgow Ultimate practices. Head Coaches to discuss.
- Oli might be able to help put a sprint training program together. Martin might be able to offer the club advice on fitness, warmup and preparing for tournaments? Niall swims if anyone is interested…….. Horses are getting advice from Strathclyde fitness specialist and possibly a nutritionist. Laurie will keep us informed.
- We all agreed instructional videos would be great for the club. The coaches will arrange a time to shoot some videos on technique after the head coaches have met. We will continue to add videos throughout the year.
4. Club finances
- Officially elect a Treasurer.
- Do we officially have a bank account, can we pay in via internet?
- Are there any outstanding debts to the club?
- Oli is the new Treasurer
- Yes, the bank account is all set up.
- Shaun will collect money owed for shorts, one day tournament and mixed tour 2009. Phil and Oli are dealing with payments for regional indoors.
- For future tournaments we will ask for advance payment to the account. Oli may enforce fines for late payment.
- We have a balance of £45 that will be kept in reserve, possibly for funding training facilities or equipment for skills days.
5. New Away Kit
- Will we order new kit and where from
- Should we keep the fox and the original design and for how long
- Does the fox really look like a horse?
- Who has any better ideas
- Can we afford to print discs?
- Can we afford to get new bibs/cones/fitness equipment?
- Yannick is responsible for ordering new away kit. We will keep the fox as our logo indefinitely. He will get quotes from suppliers for shorts (in current design), blue home top (using current design) and a new away top. Suggested suppliers are zone, lookfly, 5ultimate, gaia, vc. Last year shorts cost £23 and tops were £14. We are willing to pay up to £25 for a new away top.
- We looked at 5 kit designs and Phil will put them on the website to vote on design and colour.
- Shaun will get a quote from discraft to get discs printed. Yannick will help out with the graphic.
- We would like everyone in the club to own a disc and bring it to training as we cannot afford team discs just now and ideally people should have their own at home.
- We have a balance of £45 that will be kept in reserve, possibly for funding training facilities or equipment for skills days.
6. Youth training and putting together a child safeguarding policy
- Sport in schools – how many willing coaches do we have? Can we make this happen?
- What do coaches need to do next?
- Are we willing to get in touch with schools or youth clubs?
- How can we attract youth players in to the club?
- Who will write the safeguarding policy
- Who will oversee youth development and be first contact for sport in schools?
- Coaches with level 1 badges: Shaun, Phil, Jonny, Amy, Oli, Nigel, Sally, Colin, Ryan
- Coaches without level 1: Hilary, Kerem, Matt Scott, Kirsty, Hamish, Aiden, Bum, Marky, Sarah, Tim, Greg, Derryk, Lucy, Katie, Ross
- Phil will send out all the info required to become a fully affiliated uku coach.
- Not going to approach schools/youth clubs just now. See if we can get sport in schools running or if schools get in touch with us. If they do we should ask uku coaches mailing list or coaches in other cities to help out if needed.
- Attract you players through Coaching in schools. Junior tournament?
- Phil will write the child safeguarding document.
- NO ONE SO FAR WANTS TO OVERSEE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT. We need someone to lead this if it is going to happen. Needs to be available to coach during the day and have a Level 1 certificate. No one at the meeting volunteered. Sally? Jonny? Amy?
7. Sponsorship/Funding and putting together a club constitution
- Funding options.
- Club constitution
- Fill out National Lottery application with committee
- Can we fundraise for the club
- Do we want to fundraise for charity?
- Is there an opportunity to host a tournament?
- Shaun will contact Glasgow sports council once club constitution and safeguarding policy are in place. He will also look at other grant schemes.
- Phil is currently writing the club constitution.
- Shaun, Phil, Oli and Niall will get together to fill in National Lottery application asap.
- Niall will ask the sausage skin company about sponsorship. We don’t think we can commit to an extra night in the pub so regular pub sponsorship is not going to happen. We will try to get deals at pubs for special events e.g. social events or tournaments.
- Everyone will be responsible for looking out for sponsorship opportunities.
- Everyone is responsible for putting on fundraising events. This can be in conjunction with a social event organised by Marky. Suggestions:
- car boot sale, exhibition match, bake sale, salsa dancing, bag packing, club calendar, casino/race/quiz night, ceilidh, raffles (possibly at tournaments).
- Sarah will contact the Princes Trust to see if we could put on a joint fundraiser and adopt them as an official charity for extra fundraising. We didn’t discuss if we want to add their logo to our kit or website.
- Phil and Hilary will look in to giving the club a charitable status.
- We have set up a tournament committee – Oli, Marky, Niall, Bryan, Sarah and Phil. They will look in to holding the following events: Iron 5 indoors. Mixed club Indoor Nationals. Indoor beach tournament at xscape. 1 day introduction to Frisbee (tournament and coaching session) for juniors. A high profile mixed outdoor tournament in Scotland, possibly the highlands, that will attract international teams. A charity match between Edinburgh and Glasgow that will attract spectators (small stadium, dj/pa, flyers explaining what ultimate is, a reduced rule set and no discussion of fouls, barbeque….)
- From universities – can uni teams run another recruitment drive after Christmas?
- Can we recruit from other sports clubs
- Bring a friend to training day?
- Should we run demonstration events e.g. charity match Glasgow v Edinburgh
- Should we try to get involved in more events e.g. bigonthebeach
- Can we advertise in local sport centres etc
- Can we use the internet
- Both university teams will run another recruitment drive in term 2 including flyers and possible demos. They will look in to challenging other clubs at their sport or the sports union and hosting joint socials with other clubs. Laurie and Ryan will make sure this happens in their respective clubs.
- Use the challenge another club idea. Shaun will look at options. Glasgow Rocks?... Nigel will contact the pole dancing club (seriously).
- We will run a bring a friend to training event in the new year as part of the recruitment drive. Shaun will organise.
- Demonstration games up to the tournament committee. Shaun will put forward the idea to Edinburgh.
- Everyone is responsible for looking for events where we can run Frisbee demos or drop in sessions. Festivals are ideal. Kerem is organising a charity event with BHF.
- Shaun, Oli, Phil, Niall will make flyers and post at sports centres once we have a regular training venue that is open to everyone.
- Providing/once we have a regular trainig venue accessible to all, Shaun will post training times on Gumtree for next years beginner sessions. We will add advertisements on the Glasgow sports council website. Shaun will look in to getting on the Activity Scotland website.
9. Social Networking
- Website – Does this need updating? Can performance be improved? What content is relevant?
- Facebook page – is this useful? Would it be better as a group?
- Would twitter be a better option?.
- Blog. Probably on website, a weekly article then pass it on to someone else, can be anything at all about personal experience, training, mental prep, healthy eating, links to other good resources.
- Phil will update contact details for teams and look to see if he can speed up page loading. Look in to adding RSS feeds. Add more social content.
- Bryan will write a tournament report for Indoor Regionals.
- Keep Facebook page as it is but add regular updates and publicise more.
- No to Twitter
- Shaun will write the first blog post and pass it on to someone else to write the following week. Phil will create a login for everyone to post on the website and maybe a rating plugin.
10. University Teams
- How can we shift the focus to outdoors. Why are top players not attending outdoors.
- Why have the men in particular failed to make Div1 nationals recently?
- Do university captains need to be coaches and managers too?
- Handover period – elect posts start of 2nd term
- Will there be a Shield match? – YES. Before div2 or combined with Friday social
- How is Glasgow club viewed within university teams, are you encouraging new members to play/train with club team?
- Outdoor emphasis should take care of itself if we implement everything else. Urge uni captains to reduce number of indoor trainings and tournaments played in first term for the greater good.
- Problems with qualification: Change of regime every year. Cancellation and lack of 1st team training. More can be done to integrate younger players in to positions of responsibility and competitive teams. Pre season training and building a first team from the end of the previous season rather than the start of a new one. Get the first team doing more outside of training e.g. Mandatory meeting after each training session, and perhaps before tournaments. Make them commit to a fitness program, 1 or 2 short sessions a week in the gym. Make them commit to throwing at least 200 passes a week outside of training….
- There is a lot of responsibility on 1 person to be manager, coach and captain. Use the coaches available to you to help run training sessions. If possible look for a willing non-playing manager that can help you devise tactics, has an authoritative role at training and with team selection and travels to tournaments. The womens and mens teams could help out here or look for an experienced non uni player/coach although their aren’t many suitable people around Glasgow just now.
- Ryan and Laurie will organise shield match. Ideally before Div2, otherwise combined with a Friday night social. Possibly a 3 way tournament with Glasgow Ultimate team.
- Horses will encourage new people to come along to training.
Club Positions Elected:
Club Captain, Webmaster, Designated Safeguarding Officer
Treasurer, Glasgow Ultimate Summer Holiday 2012 Organiser
Oli, Marky, Niall, Bryan, Sarah, Phil
Team Kit organiser
Web design consultant
Vice Womens Captain, Head Coaches, Youth development
Members in attendance: 16
Shaun, Philip, Sarah, Hilary, Brian, Hamish, Ryan, Niall, Laurie, Oli, Donald, Nigel, Andy, Marky, Yannick, Ross