KIC September 18, 2012
- What are the initiatives in your districts this year? New, continuing, wrapping up?
- North Branch-BYOD, bringing ear buds has worked well to keep focused
- Jon Fila 287- MN studies curriculum
- 197- iTunes U, have to be 13 to use services
- Google Apps, effective use
- Minneapolis- online curriculum, Moodle/Edmodo
- Edina- iPads/Chromebooks
- Little Falls-Project Real/iPads
- Stillwater- continuing Flipped Classroom and PD at the elementary level and expanding blended learning/flexible scheduling at secondary level
- St Paul- getting schools in compliance with cipa and e-rate
- Cisco tele-presence
- Rush City- 1:1 iPads
- YouTube for Schools - White list videos - Ted Talks, Khan, district can add videos - probably have to increase bandwidth a lot
- What changes are coming in education?
- Topic ideas for KIC this year
- BYOD - Tracy Brovold - firstname.lastname@example.org and David Treichel @ David.Treichel@anoka.k12.mn.us will moderate
- Creating a digital workflow - giving students the ability to turn in assignments online using iPads and other devices(Ditto!)
- Maybe Nancy Sims from the U could come? She is very good.
- Video Conferencing/connect content
- Flipped Classroom, resources needed
- Curriculum Sharing
- An open ‘ed camp’ style segment for every meeting session - sharing of Tips/Tricks, cool new tools, solutions for common troubleshooting with things like SMART Notebook 11, Google Apps, iPad apps, mobile access, etc.
- Kelli cannot get the room for next month
- St. Paul Public Schools can host next month at The Center for Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development (by the St. Paul Airport...sort of central?)345 Plato Boulevard East, Saint Paul, MN 55107 (651) 744-1355, Park across Plato Blvd in the Parking Lot, cross in the crosswalk and enter in the East door...map
- TIES Conference debrief - Dec
- Some sort of ongoing collaborative study or venture. Perhaps along the lines of the MN Studies Project. An opportunity to create a product that meets the needs of all systems and builds the capacities of KIC participants. Going beyond “Show and Tell”.
- Debrief on small groups
- What topics do we want to see this year in KIC?
- TIES Workshop Schedule
- TIES Conference Proposals
- We have finalized the preconference workshops, accepts have been sent and declines will be sent today
- Based on feedback we have more 3 hour workshops to give attendees the option to do two workshops in a day
- Pre Conference mailer is to be mailed Oct 5th
- We are in the beginning stages of the Monday and Tuesday workshops, but we will contact people either way in the next few weeks
- Poster sessions were very popular last year, so we are hoping to get more this year! Please get the word out and let us know if you are interested or know someone who is! Thanks.
- TIES Conference Exhibit Hall
- Come see me about vendors you want, need, can’t wait to see - Add names below
- Need a venue for October Meeting - TIES meeting spaces are unavailable
- St. Paul Public Schools can host next month at The Center for Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development (by the St. Paul Airport...sort of central?)
- MN Moodle Users Group meeting after KIC - Sign up for the Minnesota Moodle User Group You can set your own notification settings for emails from the group.
- Superhero - October 19-20 superherotechcamp.com **Ramsey Musallum a leader in Flip Teaching is our Keynote...an excellent presenter and great energy!
- Midwest Google Summit is Sold Out but if you register ASAP you will probably get in as we are opening it up to 150 more people. http://www.midwestgooglesummit.com/
- The MEMO conference is October 11-13 in St. Cloud. This year a Tap Into Technology pre-conference, with three strands, has been added.
- This grant-funded MDE site is intended to provide support for educators, parents and students to increase educational opportunities for underserved students. It is excellent; take a look: http://readysetgo.state.mn.us/RSG/index.html
- EdCampMSP - Saturday, November 10th @ Rasmussen College - Brooklyn Park Campus. A day of FREE participant-driven, connected professional development.
Lunch & Learn
- Hennepin County Library (overdrive), iTunes, CDs
- pre-k to 6th grade
- Desktop version or ios device - no android yet
- Unlimited access to the library, not pay per book