Rutgers University Graduate Student Association - New Brunswick

GSA Council Meeting #5, AY 2010–2011

January 23, 2011

[Major topics discussed:

— VPLC meetings

— SAGE

— dining services

— $7 transcript fee

— questions about spring funding for GSOs

— Eden accounts

— report on Executive Council of Graduate School of New Brunswick

— new Community Activities Chair

— new Film Co-op Chair

— funding for Cook Organic Gardening Club]

7:04pm: Call to Order

7:04pm: Determination of Quorum (required: 10 departmental representatives + 2 elected officers)

7:04pm: Consent Agenda - Vote

Unanimously approved

7:06pm: Officers’ Reports

President (Reshma)

Reshma: For the VPLC meetings I go for every Wednesday, I have a list of most of the guests for this semester, so I will be meeting with the Directors and Heads of Dining Services, Student Life, Student Conduct, Administration & Public Safety, RUPD, the Vice President for Budgeting, and the Director of Athletics, in addition to the mayor (the mayor has not been confirmed as of yet). So, I really hope that you guys will go back to your departments, and, if there are concerns for stuff I could bring up on behalf on the graduate students, the sooner I know, the better.

Cody: Do you know if you are allowed to post to the website information on who is attending these meetings?

Reshma: I have not found that out. I will ask.

Cody: What are some concerns you think students would have with, say, like the mayor of New Brunswick, as graduate students?

Reshma: Okay, I ask Emily to express her points.

Emily: One of the issues I found living in New Brunswick and Highland Park is that there is not much to do here. So, I am really curious what the mayor has to say about the business development plan, including the big building that is being built on the corner of the transit center and also what sort of businesses they are planning to bring into the area. I find that—and I do not know who agrees with me or not—that New Brunswick has a lot of stuff for undergraduates and for doctors, and there is not much in between for anybody else who does not fit either of those two categories. I find it strange that there is no, like, Urban Outfitters-type store around where you can buy a poster and stuff for your dorm. So that is really what I would ask the mayor is what the business development plan is for this area.

Reshma: In fact, another point Emily brought up which I thought was really relevant—and I suffered because of it—is there is no good grocery store within walking distance. We are all dependent upon C-Town if we do not have cars, and after a while it can be … a little difficult

Emily: … bad for one’s health

Reshma: I would not go that far!

Reshma: For the Director of Athletics, there was a student who contacted me last semester asking about tickets to the women’s basketball games, and apparently in the past for football tickets, the GSA could get a block of tickets at discounted prices and sell them to grads who are interested in going. Now, we are told, we can get a block of tickets at regular price and if we do not sell them, too bad. So, there is not really any point in us getting the block of tickets, and is one of the things they do not really consider important for graduate students apparently because we do not pay an athletics fee, which the undergrads do. That said, the person who emailed me for the women’s basketball tickets actually told me, he said, “Well, the University should also be thinking about when we graduate, and if they want us to give us to give back to the University, they need to cultivate us in a way”

So the different things that different people might have in mind, if you come to us, if you think there is something that I could bring up with these people at the meetings, please let me know. Okay? It is really the best avenue to get graduate student concerns noticed.

The Student Advocates for Graduate Education (SAGE) is a coalition of students from various public universities, and we voted at the last Council meeting [actually, at the November 2010 meeting] to join it. Our status right now is that of probationary members, and we are active members because I took part in the last conference call that was last Sunday. There is a student who has agreed to represent Rutgers at the conference call that began at 7:00 today since none of us could do it, and he will be reporting on that later on to the officers and probably to the General Council meeting the next time to all of you. As of now, we are probationary members; the way to become a full member is by participating either in a spring initiative, which is the Days on the Hill, where delegations from the member universities meet in Washington, DC, attend a training, and then lobby for graduate student concerns. That is one way. Or, you attend a Fall Summit—that is in the fall semester. I am aiming for Rutgers participating at the Days on the Hill this time. The advantages to that are a lot because once we participate at any of these two events, we become full members, and after that, if we do absolutely nothing, we just go into an inactive status, and at some point, if somebody wants to take initiative and do things for and with SAGE for graduate students in general, the membership is just reactivated. But, while you are in this limbo, before you attend one of these two big events, you are not full members. Okay, we will talk more about that at the next meeting.

Cody: What are some of the issues that will be discussed at the Days on the Hill?

Reshma: There are three main categories that are being attacked: the affordability of graduate education (loan forgiveness, or debt forgiveness—I forget the exact terminology), visa issues (the fact that spouses of international students usually cannot work), and affordability. The way this works is that each university takes a project and works on it. Right now, since we are so brand new, we are not expected to do that. It would be wonderful if anybody, any Rutgers grad would be willing to work on a small project. I can put you in touch with the political director of SAGE, and it may involve a few hours in a week, a few hours in a month (it depends how much a student is willing to take on). Maybe you research a certain Congressman, okay? It would be enormously helpful to us if somebody would be willing to step forward and maybe find out the voting histories of the New Jersey representatives in Washington, DC. I did ask the Chairperson of SAGE and the Vice Chairperson at their universities of UC Berkeley and Michigan what kind of graduate student participation takes place, whether it was usually people for whom it would be helpful on their resume or just graduate students in general. They said there has always been a healthy mix, so you do have students from departments like policy and political science but also students from public health, engineering, the humanities, and so forth. Any questions? We will be working towards having a position that is the SAGE rep, once we are full members—a representative at Rutgers, so if anybody would be interested in that eventually and right now also, please let us know. If you know anybody who would be interested, that would be wonderful, too. It would be very helpful.

Cody: And Rutgers has like a Federal Office or something?

Reshma: Oh, yes. I also asked them where they get their funding from, because there are no membership fees to be a part of the Coalition, and they have said they do not take membership fees. They—most of the universities are founding members—and they have separate line in their budget which funds their delegation. They also get funding from what is known as the Office of Federal Relations, and we have one at Rutgers which is down at Old Queens, so that is one of the things that I will be looking into this week, contacting somebody there and asking them if they can contribute towards our sending a delegation this year because that is in everybody’s interest.

Cody: So, the Days on the Hill: do you remember which days?

Reshma: March 26–30.

Cody: And that is a Saturday through Wednesday?

Reshma: Yes, and the lobbying days are Tuesday and Wednesday. The previous days are kind of informal workshops and training. So, if anybody is willing to work on this project of maybe contacting our Office of Federal Relations or researching the New Jersey reps at Congress, please contact us and maybe you could step forward to represent us at the Days on the Hill in March. Any questions?

7:16pm: Recess for Food

7:23pm: Officers’ Reports (continued)

President (Reshma)

[Reshma continues discussion over food about the Rutgers search for new head of Dining Services and interviews with candidates.]

Question: If you are going to talk to Dining Services about the faculty/staff dining halls, you might want to also talk about extending their hours a little bit.

Reshma: Okay.

Cody: So, if a graduate student felt particularly strong about the dining hall issues, is there anything he or she could do?

Reshma: They should tell me. Maybe I could just tell these candidates in a nice way that, you know, this is a concern that I have heard, how would you address it?

The last thing I want to talk about is the $7 transcript fee. A graduate student who is writing up her dissertation contacted me about this. She was applying for jobs, and she found that the website said it was free, but she was charged $7 for her transcript, and she found it a pretty high figure for a person applying for so many jobs. Her concern was that this might be a sign of a disturbing trend—she said this happened in California where apparently some universities are tuition-free but the other fees go up to $20,000+ because the university looks for ways to get money, and especially since our TA/GA packages have been frozen, you may think you are getting X amount of money in hand, but if the fees keep going up, the value of the package is diminishing. So, I contacted the Registrar with this concern, and I got responses: one, we are updating the website—I spoke with the student two days ago and apparently one of the parts is still not updated—the other response was from a university administrator who said due to increased enrollments, we have had no other option but to increase the fees. Well, increased enrollments are mostly from the undergrads who also bring in fees. To increase graduate fees, I think—and some other students I have spoken to think this—is not the best way. I will say this: I understand that the university is facing a difficult time and they have to increase certain fees. My concern is that as a community, if graduate students are not a large enough community—or a vocal enough community—for the University to really think about this when they are increasing fees. It may be more like, oh, let us increase this fee, and they move on, whereas if we put it across to them that, look, this hurts us when you increase this fee, maybe they will be a little bit more considerate of us for next time they have to do something. This is how I feel about it. Is anybody writing their dissertation now? Is anybody in the job application process?

[Discussion of individual case.]

Ben: I think $7 may be a bit steep.

Andrew: So, Reshma, who addresses this from here? I mean, should this be brought to the TA/GA Steering Committee or to the union to be, kind of, part of their discussions. It would seem to me that that is how we would want to address this issue, is to try to negotiate an alternative. Undergrads do not have to request nearly the number of transcripts that we do, just because we go on the job market and apply for grants and fellowships to a much higher degree than undergrads, and so I hope there are possibilities for alternatives like a flat fee.

Emily: This is the sort of issue that would go before the Graduate Student Issues Committee, and at the moment we have one person serving on that committee. If you are concerned about this and other graduate student issues, please contact us and we will put you in contact with that person. You can look at all the different fee schemes that they have at different schools. That is really where that would be dealt with, so if you are interested, please contact Reshma, and she will put you in contact with the Graduate Student Issues Committee.

Reshma: One more point—and this is my personal opinion—this is a public research university. We come here to do research. The point of doing research is not, yes, we love our subjects, but the point is at the end of it, with my degree I am looking for a job. The university is preparing us to look for a job. The university should be making it as easy as possible. It should be supporting us in every which way to get those jobs, so that is my biggest problem with the fee. It is not the amount. It is that fact that there is a fee for every transcript, because for a student looking for a job, the university should be looking for ways to make it as easy as possible, not difficult.

[More discussion of this issue follows.]

Treasurer (Emily)

[Budget projected on screen]

This is the budget as of whatever day January 18 was. You can see how much we have brought in and how much we have spent. We do have a major expense coming on our Executive line under internal allocations, but that was already planned for at the beginning (I just want you to know that there will be a big jump coming up soon).

The other thing I wanted to let you guys know is that spring funding applications are due on Wednesday, February 9 at 5pm. I have sort of put up a FAQ for it (I need to fix the link from the homepage), but a lot of questions are answered there.

[FAQ on website projected on screen.]

This is the FAQ that will be linked from the front page, I did answer quite a few questions here. We will be having an External Allocations Committee meeting on Saturday, February 12 at 11. The more people come, the quicker we will get done. We will give you food; it will not be pizza! [Council breathes collective sigh of relief] I do not know what else to say to get you there; anybody and everybody is welcome to come—you do not look at your own group’s allocation. Does anybody have any questions for me right now about spring funding?

Question: That allocations meeting will explain how the process works?

Emily: No, I have that up here. So, quickly, to go over how the process works: on the front page of the GSA website, there is an Online Funding Form, and, through there, you can see how you can apply. We need your list of officers; you must have an updated constitution and member list to apply for money. The way the application works is that it shows you what the limits are for each event, and you can apply up to the year limit for the spring funding. You should know that we only have 20% of our overall budget to allocate in the spring—80% of it was already allocated in the fall. We fund per event, so you need to tell us what each event is, and we give money per event, so you cannot just say, we think we are doing whatever. Some people think we fund per line—that is not how it works. We fund per event.

Question: You can do series of events?

Emily: You can do series of events, but we think of those as series of events.

Question: What is the allocations meeting?

Emily: That is where we actually allocate money for the spring.

Andrew: Hi! I am Andrew! I am the Events Coordinator here. That is where we look at everybody’s application and say, yes, we can fund this event and this is how much money we will fund based on your request. So, that is why I urge that when you request funds for the spring, you review the Funding Guidelines, because we cannot fund certain things like, you cannot buy books or a microwave or metal spoons, or, you know, all sorts of other things, but we can fund a lot of things as well. So review the Funding Guidelines so that you know what you can get money and what you cannot get, because otherwise you might ask for $800 and only $100 of that $800 is stuff we can actually give you money for. So review that before you fill out your request.

Emily: Those are posted on the website, too, under Documents and also under Forms for GSO Treasurers.

Question: I remember at one point, the officer and member list would carry over from funding period to funding period, but last time, that did not happen, which was very annoying.

Emily: We are thinking about all of our communication including thinking how we are running the funding application, so we will work on that.

Cody: The answer to that is, so, one of the previous officers named Carlos wrote the e-gsa website, and, so, I am not sure exactly what happened last time when the member list did not carry over—he would know more about that—but do not worry so much about that; I mean, if you are having troubles with the officer list or with the member list, it is not a big deal.

Emily: My hope is that in the future, you can just upload your list instead of having to write everybody’s name out.

Reshma: For those of you who might be there at the EAC meeting, please bring your laptops with you if you can, because that is very helpful if everybody has their own laptop because then, you know, people in the group can just simultaneously review an application.

Emily: Are there any more questions?

Question: Can we still fill out PERs from last fall? We had two events that took place in December, and I did not get a chance to submit a PER.

Emily: Yes. Our fiscal year goes from July 1 to June 30 [actually, August 1 to July 31]. So, the money that you got in the fall, it is still money in the spring, so—I know it is confusing—but for the fall, you apply for the whole year. If you have changed or want new events, or if you are a new GSO, you can apply in the spring, but it is fine to give up PERs up to 90 days afterwards.

Question: I am a new treasurer for my student group, and have started receiving receipts for events; I know there is a form. Where should I put them?

Emily: It goes in the mailbox outside the first office when you walk in the door. So, there is a mailbox: just put it in there.

Cody: Is it possible to use snail mail?

Emily: Yes, you can use snail mail. You can mail it in.

Cody: Who should it be addressed to?

Emily: Let me just put that online because it should not be addressed to me.

Andrew: Also ideally, especially if you have questions about the form you are submitting or you are new and you want to be sure that what you are doing is correct, we have office hours throughout the week: they are posted on the calendar that goes on the GSA website. It would be best—and you can meet with any of us about it—to come during my office hours (I am the Events Coordinator: Andrew), Joe Conerty’s office hours (he is the Administrative Assistant), or Emily’s office hours because she is the Treasurer. And so if you could come in, we can sit down for just a second and flip through everything to make it is right so there are no issues.

Secretary (Cody)

At the November and December Council meetings, I said that we are going to be requiring that each GSO have an Eden account. This will facilitate communications between GSOs and us, and will allow you to have your own webpage on the Eden server, and just make things easier, so I think about 10 or 15 of you have requested an Eden account from me. So, I request Eden accounts from OIT, but I am not going to request each one individually because it takes a lot of time and OIT does not like to do that when there are so many GSOs (namely, 60—about), so I am going to request them all at one time. So, in order to speed that process up, I would like for each and every GSO to request an Eden account. Basically, what I need is the actual name of the Eden account you would like to use (it is an eight character name) and the netIDs of the officers.

Reshma: Is it eight characters or up to eight characters?

Cody: Up to eight characters.

Andrew: They email that to you and then you request it?

Cody: Yeah. Any questions?

Reshma: So, when they set them up, there is an email saying that they have access?

Cody: OIT does that.

7:45pm: Representatives’ Reports

Representative to the Executive Council of the Graduate School of New Brunswick (Ben)

Of course I will say a little bit since it is the first time I have been here because it is the first time we have had a meeting since the Executive Council actually met. I am Ben Hicks; I am a grad student in the Classics Department, and the Graduate School Executive Council is, essentially, the advisory body for the Graduate School. It is where the various deans, associate deans, interim deans, and all the other kinds of deans they manage to create, along with representatives from different departments meet to patch out things from different departments about curriculum, about things that are particularly relevant to the Graduate School, and I am a student representative—I am non-voting—but I still represent a student’s voice on the Council (when that is relevant), and it actually gets listened to. It is a small body and, even though I am low on the totem pole, they are actually going to listen to student opinion. This will be a bit longer—I usually try to be quick with these—this will be a bit longer because several meetings got cancelled in the fall term (as they appear to be doing in the spring term as well) and got condensed into one sort-of-marathon meeting at the very end of the term when, I am pretty sure, someone realized they needed to have a meeting before the term ended. So, different course tracks were approved (none of that is overtly relevant as far as this report). There was a report on the TAP program for TAs and also on the Pre-Doctoral Leadership Institute, where right now it is a small select group of graduate students the Graduate School has been working with, in terms of preparing them for academic leadership-type positions, and as this gets rolled out and gets expanded further, which is the plan, it is something to keep an eye out for because on job applications, it is wonderful to be able to say you have done, to have some experience with higher education if you are looking at university jobs.

Cody: Is this run by Dean Farber?

Ben: Yes, I believe so.

Cody: Is this part of the I3 thing?

Ben: No, that is a slightly different beast, which I will get to (because we tend to hear lots of that at these meetings). Dean Bender did a brief report on student mental health issues. Not surprisingly, referrals are up. One note for the Graduate School Commencement: right now on the website, all you see is, well, it is somewhere on Busch campus. The plan, or the complication rather, is it is on Busch campus and probably near in the tennis bubble and apparently it will be somewhere near there, there will be a breakfast. At the convocation, degree candidates will be hooded and have their diplomas handed to them and then they will process together in the University Commencement. So, those plans are still in the works but there are still some sort of logistics. The next big issue for grad students is the Graduate School is trying to get programs that deal with the NSF’s requirement that PhD and postdocs have some sort of mentorship component as part of their research grant, and this is, once again, a case of Rutgers trying to figure out what the federal government would like, and, being somewhat behind some of our peer institutions in terms of institutional support—right now, they are talking to private investigators for various fields trying to figure out what they are doing, how the current Teaching Assistant Program, how the current training is, how they are using it, and so on. So, you will probably be hearing more about this as the Graduate School figures out what they are doing. They are also negotiating a contract with the postdoc union, and it has become clear that we need a postdoc support office because—I do not know—I am sure you all have seen, especially in the humanities and in the social sciences, all of a sudden postdocs are appearing, which is an entirely new and interesting phenomenon, and we have no framework for dealing with these people. The good news on the capital campaign is that it has moved into its public phase, and Dean Kukor, the interim dean, did some relatively good sales pitch for the Graduate School—I know not everyone here is under the Graduate School of New Brunswick (shout out to the SCI people here)—and the big news is that of the capital campaign’s final goal, around $115 million of that is actually earmarked for graduate education. So, I am happy to report some actual good news. Assuming they can invest at about a 4.5% payout, that could endow a great number of new graduate fellowships. Of course, the hitch is actually getting the money because we have, you know, shake the alums and shake them and see what change falls out. Then, the other big initiative is a massive federal grant called I3. It is being used at Rutgers to focus on graduate education and actually try to look at ways to better support graduate education, especially in the sciences but also to a certain extent in the humanities, and, for example, looking at initiatives for how to bring students in the sciences with communication and so on, and ways build up the graduate communities in interdisciplinary matters. Right now, they have been doing some focus group stuff with graduate students, and I also pointed them to Reshma and the GSA because that is actually a good way to actually talk to graduate students (especially those of you in the sciences—physics, math, that sort of thing—but also some of the social sciences) and will again—I am sure have heard—be hearing more about this as it gets rolled out.

Cody: Those focus groups will be continued in the spring?

Ben: Yeah, as far as I am aware, there is a plan to continue the focus groups as needed. I really did suggest strongly to reach out to the GSA as a way of getting input about this.

Reshma: I hope they will.

Ben: I believe those are the major points. If anyone has any questions about some of the nitty-gritty, I can do that, but I am assuming no one needs to hear all the new master’s tracks that were approved.

Reshma: I would actually be curious if you do not mind just running through it.

Ben: Just a couple—I do not have the full agenda in front of me—in the humanities, two of the tracks were Philosophy of Law and Global and Comparative history. Some new courses in Chinese were approved. Some courses for Pharmaceutical Engineering and Biological Sciences were approved. A Personal Care Science track was approved; this is basically the Johnson & Johnson track—and the plan with that is to get students in that track and actually have them work with some of the pharmaceutical corporations in the area and partnering with them. A new User Experience Design & Social Media track has been added, although the Committee had a few quibbles with that. I believe that is everything.

Reshma: Okay, I have a couple of questions, Ben. When the Executive Council actually does meet as it should, how often in a semester is that?

Ben: It is usually once a month. It is marginally more frequent than the Senate meetings, but not by a lot. Usually (like last year) at least one of those will be cancelled, just because there is not enough business to warrant getting everyone there.

Reshma: What time do they meet? Where do they meet? How long do the meetings usually last?

Ben: Afternoon, and they are always on a Tuesday. They usually run an hour and then change, and that is a long one. A lot of times they get out quicker. It is actually a remarkably quick meeting because you have many, many professors who are there and are bored out of their skulls and just want to get out of there.

Reshma: Okay. How long have you been a representative?

Ben: I have been doing this for two years.

Reshma: If I am correct, then three reps from the GSA that sit in on the meetings?

Ben: Two. As far as I know, I do not know if we have the second. At the last meeting, it was just me.

Reshma: Okay. This is something I would like to point out to all of you. Ben just said he is a non-voting member but his influence is taken into consideration. It is a shame that we do not have a second person going to these meetings.

Ben: The other point is that I am a humanities person. It would be much more useful to have someone in the sciences to be there because I think they would have much more useful inputs on some of the I3, some of the NSF stuff, which, while interesting to me, is not my experience.

Reshma: Thank you. We are still looking to fill that position.

7:35pm: Committee Reports

Community Activities

Reshma: We have had a student who stepped forward to chair this community. She is not here today, but we can still vote her in. Her name is Sarah Stapleton; she is a PhD student in the Graduate School of Education.

Sarah voted in unanimously as chair

Reshma: Just as an aside, last Thursday, Cody hosted an Involvement Dinner, which is where Sarah came in, and apparently there were a few students but all of them were very enthusiastic, so we are hoping to do a lot of things with their help and we are very happy about it

Elections (Rrezarta)

We will be having elections in April. You will be notified on time if you want to nominate yourself or somebody else nominates you; this will be, like, a week or two before the elections, where we will send an email around asking people who are interested in nominating themselves or somebody else for the standing committees positions, which are Executive, External Allocations, Elections, Publications, ISAC, Graduate Student Issues, Social & Cultural, [also Sustainability and TA/GA Steering Committee] and for three University Senators [Graduate School of New Brunswick only], so you will be informed in due time. The elections will take place in April. Hopefully, the voting will be done online, and we will you around three day’s time to vote.

International Student Affairs (Vukosi)

For the last few weeks, we had two socials. We had one social during the International Student Orientation, which is for new students coming into Rutgers who start in the spring. We also have been showing them. We also had another social this last Friday; we had very good attendance. We are also trying to find ways to open up our socials and also all our events to more grad students, not just international students. This semester, we are also going to try to have a trip to New York.

Reshma: Not open up, because they are already open to all students, but attract non-international students.

Film Co-op

Cody: We had a student step forward to chair the Film Co-op Committee. So, many of you have probably seen the GSA_EVENTS email that there has been a Film Co-op which the GSA sponsors every Thursday night, and we would like to continue that. The student who has stepped forward is Laura Transue, who is here today.

Laura: Hi! I am Laura Transue! I am in the Master’s program at Women’s Studies. I was a film major in undergrad and ran a film club there, and I am also an ex-TV intern.

Laura voted in unanimously as chair

8:02pm: Special Orders

Funding for Nondepartmental GSO

Cook Organic Gardening Club

Tatiana: My name is Tatiana Kazdoba; I am the current VP of the Cook Organic Gardening Club. It has been around at Rutgers, in various forms, since the late 70’s, actually, either as a graduate or as an undergraduate club. So the purpose of the club is to provide for people to learn and use organic gardening techniques to grow produce for themselves or for recreation. We have about 80 members right now, over half of which are graduate students. We have gardening plots over on Cook campus at the greenhouses. We are hoping to advertise the club a bit more. We are hoping to have lectures related to organic gardening.

Reshma: Okay, thanks. Any questions?

[various questions about gardening techniques]

Reshma: So, if students are interested …?

Tatiana: If they are interested, there is a Yahoo! group for the Cook Organic Gardening Club. So, if you google that or look at Yahoo! groups, it is there. You can also contact me personally.

Funding approved unanimously

8:06pm: Question Time (15 minutes maximum)

8:06pm: Announcements by GSOs

Question: I am also representing a nondepartmental GSO, and this is the second time I have been here, so is this the funding time?

Cody: Which GSO?

Reshma: Is it a new GSO?

Response: Yes.

Cody: Which one?

Response: Select Start: The Rutgers Video Game Studies Group. I was here in November, and I made an announcement.

Reshma: Okay. For that, you should have actually emailed Cody at least a week ago. The Video Game Studies Group? I do not remember it, but we can talk about it after the meeting. Is that okay?

Emily: They will not be able to get funding. This is their second meeting, and February 9 is the deadline.

Reshma: Well, we can check to see whether they were there the last time.

Cody: We can have them apply for funding, and then that is contingent upon recognition at a meeting.

Reshma: Can you check the minutes from November? That is actually what we should do.

Cody: I am not online.

Emily: Okay. Go ahead. Tell us about your group.

Response: Okay. My name is Aaron. There is a nondepartmental organization right now, The Rutgers University Video Game Studies Group: Select Start. We are hoping to start an academic journal, and we are also having a lot of meetings just to kind of go over what video game studies is. We also hope to have an annual sort of event.

Andrew: Do members of your group come from across the graduate student population or particular department?

Response: Right now, we have membership in Media Studies, Information Science, and Communication. We are hoping to diversify.

Andrew: How have you advertised so far? How do people know about your group?

Response: So far, I have made an announcement in the GSA and also just by word-of-mouth.

Cody: We do not have a constitution.

Reshma: We cannot do anything now? Can he submit a member list to us right now?

Cody: We cannot do that. We had that problem with CHAPS.

Reshma: So what do we do now?

Cody: Nothing.

Emily: We have had a technical breakdown. So, we going to have to table your spring funding right now. So, what I am going to ask you to do is apply provisionally for February 9, and then we will get back in touch with you. You can talk to us after the meeting.

Reshma: Other announcements by GSOs? Anything exciting, anything big that is coming up?

Cody: What are GSOs planning to do? [Silence.] Nothing?

Reshma: You are applying for money; I mean, you are planning to do something! Tell us!

Cody: Anything?

Reshma: I do not think we have anything! Alright, can I please have a motion from the floor to adjourn the meeting? [Silence.] May I have a motion from the floor to adjourn the meeting?

8:10pm: Adjournment