Where do Animals go in Winter?
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.1 With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory texts in which they name what they are writing about and supply some information about the topic.
Animals in Winter
Cut-out of animals in Animals in Winter
1. To further their knowledge on this topic, teacher will read aloud Animals in Winter by Henrietta Bancroft.
2. Teacher will use the cut-out animals to review the story, having students come up and put them where they belong in a winter scene with dens, burrows, caves, and trees, or the “sun” to show migration.
3. Teacher will then ask students to each pick an animal in order to make a class ebook. Each student create a page that discusses where their animal lives and where they go in the winter. The teacher will model this. For example: A bear lives in the ____habitat________. He hibernates in his ________________ in the winter.
4. Teacher will show the students the book she has made ahead of time “What Happens in Winter?” to show what the students will be making.
5. Students will first create their page using writing paper, drawing a picture and writing their sentences.
6. After the teachers reviews the work, the teacher will have 4-5 kids at at time working with an aid or volunteer to create their page on Storyjumper. (Teacher will have to create a free account ahead of time) Students should use a scene, props, and text to complete their page.
7. After all the students have completed their page, a paper copy can be printed for each student or the teacher can decide to pay $25 to have an actual book made for the class.
8. The teacher should share the completed books, having each student read their page to the class.