Adding a File to Your Course Moodle ISU
You can upload any type of file to your Moodle ISU course. You only need to make sure that both the instructor and the students have the appropriate software to open the files. If you need to upload large media files (i.e., sound files, video files), contact ITRC to discuss the option of placing these large files on the media server.
This guide will help you to:
- Add a File to Your Course
Add a File to Your Course
- Turn editing on. For more information on how to turn editing on, see Moodle ISU Overview.
- Locate the week/topic block in which you wish to add the activity.
- Click Add an activity or resource.
Note: You can also select the file on your computer, drag it to the week/topic you want the file to appear and drop it there. This will upload the file directly to your course homepage with default settings.
- Select File.
- Click Add.
- In the Name field, Type a name for the file. This will be visible to students on the course homepage.
- In the Description box, Type in a description (this is a required box).
- If you would like this description displayed on the course page, Check the Display description on course page checkbox.
- Click Add to open up the File picker.
- You can also Select the file on your computer and drag and drop it to the central area of the Choose a file section to upload.
Note: Generally, files are uploaded from your computer. The following steps guide you through using the Upload a file option. For more information about the other options please contact the ITRC, 282-5880, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To upload a file from your computer:
- Select Upload a file from the left column of the File picker.
- Click Browse.
- Locate the file on your computer.
- Select the file you wish to upload.
- Click Open. The file should now show in the attachment text box.
- If you choose to enter a name in the Save as text box, it will only rename the file for Moodle ISU. This is an optional feature and not required for the upload.
- Click Upload this file.
Note: For more information on files and repositories, see Files and New Repositories.
- Select from the Display dropdown menu how the file will be displayed.
- Automatic - selects the best display option based on the file type.
- Embed - displays the file within the webpage with the name and description (if checked).
- New window - the file will be displayed in a new browser window.
- Force download - automatically downloads the file.
- Open - displays the description with a link to the file in the browser window.
- In pop-up - displays the file in a pop-up window. This option is advised if uploading a video.
- Display resource description - shows the description of the resource if the file is embedded. The box must be checked.
- The following options can be accessed by Clicking Show more.
- With the pop-up option also comes the ability to specify the size of the pop-up window in pixels. For more information regarding size options, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
- For information regarding filter options, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Common module settings
For more information on Common module settings, see Groups and Groupings.
For more information on restricting access, see Conditional Release.
For more information on activity completion, see Activity Completion.
- Click Save and display to view the file.
- Click Save and return to course to be taken back to the main course page.
- Click Cancel to delete the file settings.
Note: The new file will always appear at the bottom of the list within the week/topic you have chosen.
For more information, see File Resource.
For additional information, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.