English 12 Name:
Kim Manning Date:
Personal Essay: How Can I Open?
This is a difficult assignment.
Writing about ourselves is not easy to do, yet, we are the experts: we know ourselves better than just about anyone.
1. Review what you have already written in response to:
- "So...Tell Me About Yourself" and The Essential Me
2. Re-read the handouts The Personal Essay and Personal Essay - Assessment of Learning (note: the U.B.C. "Tips for Success" on that handout).
3. WRITE! You're writing a first draft. Do expect perfection. Get ideas down on paper. Reading helps your brain to think more than staring at a blank page.
4. I understand that starting your opening, your first words is very difficult. Brainstorm or web in response to one or more of these possible openings:
a. Explain a specific experience that challenged you;
b. Explain a specific experience when you demonstrated part of your philosophy of life;
c. Outline your passion(s) for: - a specific short or long-term goal; - a core element of your life; - a specific job experience or activity
d. An anecdote (a short true story about an experience in your life when you
grew as a person; and / or showed leadership; and / or showed perseverence;
and / or showed personal strength or another quality.
e. Explain a specific experience when you faced adversity.
5. Start writing...it's a first draft. Don't be so hard on yourself. Trust yourself. Now, write!