Nutella Crack Pie
Adapted from Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook, page 246
Yields - 2 pies (12 pieces each)
Oat Cookie - for the crust
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
75 grams light brown sugar
40 grams sugar
1 egg yolk
80 grams flour
120 grams rolled oats, old fashioned type
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Beat together the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and add in the egg yolk, beat to combine for another 2 minutes or until the mixture is white.
- Add the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until just combined.
- Spread as thin as you can onto the parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
15 grams light brown sugar
1 gram salt
4-5 tablespoons melted butter
- Break up the oat cookie into small pieces and mix with the brown sugar and salt.
- Use a food processor to grind the mix into fine pieces.
- Mix the pieces with the melted butter, start with 4 tablespoons, add more as needed, and mix until everything is moistened.
- Divide the crust between two greased 10” pie pans and press in evenly.
- Place the pie plates on a cookie sheet to collect drips.
300 grams sugar
180 grams light brown sugar
20 grams milk powder
24 grams cornstarch
6 grams kosher salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8 egg yolks
10-12 tablespoons nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the sugar, brown sugar, milk powder, cornstarch, and salt in in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on low speed until everything is well mixed.
- Add in the melted butter and beat for 2-3 minutes or until all the dry ingredients are moist.
- Beat in the heavy cream and vanilla for another 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Make sure there are no streaks.
- Beat in the yolks until they are just mixed in. Try not to over beat and add too much air in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture between 2 pie crusts and dot the top of each with 5-6 tablespoons of nutella.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the nutella throughout the crack pie mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Open the oven door for 5 minutes and reduce the heat to 325 F.
- Bake the pie for another 5 minutes or until the tops are brown and there is only a slight jiggle when you shake the pan.
- Let cool to room temperature and then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and cut. Keep the pies refrigerated. Garnish with powdered sugar.