Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands 2009
Carolina Beach Boardwalk Makeover is excited to give Local and Regional talent the opportunity to compete for prizes and perform on the Beach Stage in front of the Carolina Beach Boardwalk to a large crowd.
Please complete the application below, providing any additional background information on your group including reviews, press kits or photos if available. All submissions will be reviewed by the Committee and selections will be made by May 25, 2009.
Name of Group: ________________________________________________________
Name of Contact Person: _________________________________________________
Work Phone:__________________ Home Phone: _____________________________
Email Address: ______________________
Category of Music (rock, hardcore, jazz, country, folk, etc.)______________________
(Note: Lyrics must be appropriate for all age groups.)
Names of all musicians in your group (with instruments):
Circle ALL Dates you are Available to Play: May 30, June 13, July 11, August 8
Stage/Power requirements (Including a diagram showing stage layout for amps and microphones): ___________________________________________________________
Front of Stage
Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands Rules 2009
- All entry packets must be received by May 20, 2009. Up to 18 groups will be selected by a listening group of judges, to play on either May 30, June 13, July 11 as part of the live competition, with First and Second place of each date competing in the Finals on August 8. The selected groups will be notified by telephone or email.
- Incomplete entries will be disqualified. Entry packets must be accompanied by a digital band photo, delivered as .jpg on disk or via email, and audio file (mp3 or CD) of at least three songs (one of which must be used in the competition). Video of a performance is highly encouraged, but not required, and may substitute for an audio file.
- Each band that competes at the Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands will play a minimum of 5 songs (3 originals, 2 covers) of no longer than 30 minutes.
- A stage crew from IBX Promotions will be on hand to assist each band in setting up and sound check. It is the band’s responsibility to set gear and be ready to perform within the allotted time.
- Stage management has final say on all activities on stage. Any band going over the 30 minute limit, or disregarding event management’s direction on anything, including safety and use of vulgarity, may be disqualified or powered off.
- Popular vote will determine 1st and 2nd place for the Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands.
- If your group is chosen to compete in the Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands, you must be available to perform on said date between the hours of 1pm and 5pm, including checking all band members in an hour before your set time. Time requests will be considered, but no time slots are guaranteed.
- All band members are required to send one member to a pre-meeting before the event.
- Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands is open to amateurs only. For the purpose of this contest an amateur is anyone who does not have a major-label recording contract.
- Entries must be completed in English, but the band may perform their song in any language. Any use of vulgarity is prohibited; use of vulgarity can lead to disqualification.
- The Boardwalk Makeover Group, or any group associated with it, is not responsible for any damage or theft of your musical equipment during the Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands.
- Bands must perform by themselves, i.e. no back up band or pre-recorded music is allowed.
- Each Band is allowed 40 minutes total for set up, performance, and tear down. For example: 5 minutes to set up, 30 minutes to perform, 5 minutes to break down.
- There will be a 5 minute warning sign held up at the Front of House.
Boardwalk Blast Battle of the Bands
A panel of judges will score musicians using a point system (1-10). Each act will be judged on the following general guidelines:
Stage Presence: Appearance; Appropriate attire; Appropriate material
Time: Use of time. Solid transitions.
Originality: Quality of original material and/or interpretation of cover tunes.
Musical Ability: Vocal/instrumental skill, intonation, complexity of music
Audience Approval: Applause, overall enthusiasm.
Brought to you by: