(adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman)
butter or vegetable oil for greasing waffle iron
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 + 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 + 1/3 cups blueberries
maple syrup, for serving
fresh whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat waffle iron. Combine dry ingredients. Mix together the milk and eggs. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Stir the wet into the dry ingredients. Stir in blueberries.
3. Spread a ladle of batter onto the waffle iron and cook until done about 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used.
4. Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup and/or whipped cream
Brown Sugar Bacon
(adapted from Paula Deen)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder*
8 slices thick-cut bacon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set a cooling rack inside the prepared pan and set aside.
2. Combine brown sugar and chili powder in a shallow dish. Dredge the bacon slices in the brown sugar mixture and place, not touching, on rack. Bake until crisp, 15 - 20 minutes. Blot excess grease with paper towels if needed.
*I've made it without the chili powder and it's still every bit as good, the chili powder adds another level of flavor and enhances the smokiness of the bacon.