S’mores Whoopie Pies
For the Graham Cracker Whoopie:
- 1½ cups graham flour*
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Marshmallow Filling:
- 1½ cups Marshmallow Fluff*
- 1¼ cups vegetable shortening
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and the buttermilk and beat until combined.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk, baking soda, and vinegar. With the mixer on low speed and add half of the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Mix in the milk mixture. Mix in the remaining flour mixture just until just combined. Add the vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until completely combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the tops feel firm and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cookie comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the Marshmallow Filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the Marshmallow Fluff and the vegetable shortening, until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, add the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes more.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache Filling, Place the chocolate in a large, heatproof bowl. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the cream until it bubbles. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let it sit for about 10 minutes, until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth. Allow the mixture to rest at room temperature until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. You may also refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes, until it is firm enough to spread, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Assemble the whoopie pies: Pipe a layer of chocolate ganache filling onto the flat side of one of the cakes. Pipe a layer of marshmallow filling onto another flat side of one of the cakes. Sandwich together. Repeat with the rest of the cakes and filling.
Yields: 2 dozen whoopie pies
*Note: If you cannot find Marshmallow Fluff, any prepared marshmallow cream will work. If you cannot find Graham Flour you can substitute whole wheat flour.
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com