STATE COLLEGE COMMUNITY THEATRE
POSITION: PRODUCTION STAFF -- MUSIC DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR & PRODUCTION ASSISTANT(S)
To provide musical direction, vocal coaching and organization for specific production
- Provide music direction for theatrical production
- In consultation with the Director, prepare for and conduct open auditions and participate in the casting session on the dates determined by the Board of Directors.
- Assure continuity between the musical portion of the production and the Director’s concept for the production.
- Coordinate musical portion of the production with Choreographer and provide recorded accompaniment as necessary, reflecting any changes or edits.
- In consultation with Director and Choreographer, develop rehearsal schedule with Stage Manager, Schedule must comply with SCCT rules regarding rehearsals. The Co-Producers must approve any exceptions.
- Coordinate schedule for Rehearsal Pianist (if applicable) in consultation with Stage Manager.
- Coordinate schedule for joint rehearsals of cast and orchestra, in consultation with Stage Manager, Director, and Choreographer.
- Conduct all vocal music rehearsals with cast.
- Conduct joint music/choreography sessions with Choreographer as necessary.
- Assist with the load-in and the strike of the show (specially orchestra area for strike)
- Recruit, rehearse, and conduct orchestra for a theatrical production.
- Obtain space for orchestra rehearsals, working with the Production Assistants as necessary.
- Develop rehearsal schedule for orchestra, including joint rehearsals of cast and orchestra, in consultation with Stage Manager and Director.
- Conduct orchestra at technical and dress rehearsals and at all performances. Provide vocal warm-up for cast prior to rehearsals and performances.
- Distribute and collect all orchestral scores. Return to Production Assistants at closing night strike.
- Maintain Music Director responsibilities throughout run of show
- Provide a workshop for the SCCT Apprentice Program in consultation with the Apprentice Coordinator, if requested.
- Attend all technical/dress rehearsals and production meetings.
Minimum: Strong background in voice or vocal direction, especially for musical theatre
Preferred: Professional voice/choral teaching experience is preferred
- Production Staff (other than Director)
Ability to effectively communicate with cast, production staff, production assistants, Board of Directors, and general public in timely, efficient and respectful manner.
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- High standards of integrity
- Good organizational skills
- Effective computer skills
- Skill in caring for detail and accuracy
- Must have Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances
- The Music Director is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT
- Salary: $100 per production
- Benefits: 2 Complimentary Tickets
- If someone fulfills multiple roles of the production team, they get the largest stipend as listed and any additional stipend at half of the listed rate.
- If the Music Director leaves the production during the rehearsal period, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the co-producers and Board of Directors after each production. The Board of Directors reserves the right to survey cast and production staff members for feedback following a production.