SCCT PRODUCTION STAFF
This position reports to the Director. All production/artistic staff positions ultimately report to the producers. In the event of irresolvable disputes among the production/artistic staff, the decision of the Producers shall be final.
- Assist Scenic Designer with the construction, acquisition, and maintenance of scenery and props for arena theatre production.
- Pull scenic elements, furniture, and props from stock and modify or repair as required.
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and operable scenic shop. Supervise interns, apprentices, and volunteers in the scenic shop and storage areas. Provide instruction as necessary to build technical skills and to ensure safety.
- Provide training for apprentices in the safe and proper use of shop equipment and tools.
- Approve apprentices' skills prior to allowing them to operate power tools.
- Attend production meetings.
- Communicate immediately to the production staff any changes or revisions to scenic elements.
- Attend load-in and strike. Manage the installation of the set into the performance space.
- Ensure that all set pieces, furniture, and props are returned to their proper storage areas following strike.
- Attend all technical and dress rehearsals.
- Review performance reports and communicate with Stage Manager on a daily basis to ensure the integrity of the set throughout the production’s performance run.
- Repair or correct any scenic problems or issues that arise during the run.
- Must possess strong background in scenic construction. Must be able to create practical solutions for unique construction and space situations. Must be versed in all aspects of shop safety.
- Must possess strong oral communication skills and be able to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- Must have or be willing to apply for Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are age 21 or older.
- The Master Carpenter is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT.
- An honorarium of $300 will be paid to the Master Carpenter on closing night.
- If, for any reason, the Master Carpenter cannot complete the duties of the position, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.