Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies
(adapted from epicurious.com)
makes about 3 dozen
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (170ºC)
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter, shortening, and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. With a knife halve vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape seeds into butter mixture and beat in egg and vanilla extract until combined well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into mixture and beat until just combined.
- Let the dough chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Make into 1 inch size balls and roll them in 1/4 cup sugar. Place them 2" apart in a cookie sheet lined with baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges gets lightly golden.