- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 T salt
- 2 t. oregano leaves
- 1 t. sugar
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- In 6-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant and the green pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in zucchini, water, salt, oregano and sugar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve hot or follow step 5.
- Cover vegetable mixture and refrigerate to serve cold later.